Heads up on current SR Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DrSteven, Feb 20, 2008.

  1. DrSteven macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    Houston, TX.
    #1
    Hey everyone,

    like many of you, I have been waiting nearly a month for the release of the new updated MBP.

    Today amazon dot com lowered their price of the current MBP 2.2 / 120HDD to $1762.99 after rebate. No tax and free shipping.

    I went ahead and ordered it, but wont open it until next tuesday to see if a new MBP is released AND if it is worth the extra $200/300 dollars. If the upgrades are minimal, i will open it and keep the current one. If the New MBP has many new features which justifies the extra money (magnetic latch, new case design, etc..), I will return this one and order the new MBP. Since its still sealed, I wont be charged any restock fees. :eek:

    Just a heads up for anyone in my same situation who really doesn't mind having a current model at some savings.

    Best wishes,
    Steven
     
  2. MrT8064 macrumors 6502a

    MrT8064

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    Would just multitouch and new processors be worth 300$?
     
  3. DrSteven thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    Houston, TX.
    #3
    For me personally, no.

    I care more about a redesigned case, a refreshed look, a SIGNIFICANT video card upgrade, and SIGNIFICANT HDD upgrade.

    :eek:
     
  4. HLdan macrumors 603

    HLdan

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    #4
    Uh, somehow I find that hard to believe. You just showed us that a savings in money was all you were interested in otherwise you would have waited a little longer like the 26th maybe?
     
  5. DrSteven thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    Houston, TX.
    #5
    read my original post carefully. i said i would only keep the current model IF the updated version does not have what im looking for.

    just reread my post.
     
  6. Thetics macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
  7. Glueeater macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2008
    #7
    Sounds like a good plan. You purchased something though, it seems like you want to take the leap. Just stick with it. What can an update right now really do for you that's worth 300 dollars?
     
  8. DrSteven thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    Houston, TX.
    #8
    yep, wanted to snatch a current generation mbp up right now at a savings before they are gone.. we'll see :D

    i'll only return it if the redesigned ones are announced next tuesday with significant upgrades.
     
  9. NickC1028 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2007
    #9
    i have cashed in on this deal myself with the 2.4 model


    possibly more price break with a new model
     
  10. mbaman77 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2008
    #10
    Is there for sure going to be a updated model of the MBP on tuesday ? I am waiting to see if I am going to but a Air ofr the pro but I am just wanting to have the 15" MBP that Apple employee I know said is coming, he did not say tuesday. He said there are 3 models coming ,
    #1. MBP 15" Air with no drive just like Air w/250 gb hard drive and 3.6ghz penryn and would also need usb super drive like Air, magnetic latch , copy of air but 15"

    #2 &#3. 15" and 17"MBP penryn 3.6 ghz up to 1tb hard drive or 200gb SSHD
    also magnetic latch, upgraded graphics card




    I just want to know when!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! also My buddy might be a idiot too it seams to good to be true but he does work on infinite drive and is part of there marketing team so who knows he has not been wrong before. I want a 15 inch air with no drive because we are living in a wireless world, who needs a stinkin drive if your 15 MBP is only 3.5 pounds
     
  11. squeeks macrumors 68040

    squeeks

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #11
    the employees have no idea when its coming, heck you can call the apple store the day its released and they will have no idea what you are talking about
     
  12. tuxtpenguin macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 19, 2007
    Location:
    TX
    #12
    I'm tired of waiting, but I will be waiting for a least a few months (June) before I pull the trigger and order my MBP.
     
  13. omore1234 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 21, 2008
    #13
    I hope there is a 15" MBP air, but really, who sees this happening soon? I will need a new computer by Aug and want the power of a MBP but want it to look like the air. So I have a couple of months until I NEED a comp. Maybe a new case redesign is coming. I'm crossing my fingers :D;) But does anyone see this coming within 6 months?
     
  14. Kev1000000 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    #14
    Does Amazon still carry old stock? Are there any disadvantages with ordering through Amazon?
     
  15. Kev1000000 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2007
    #15
    Well, it seems Amazon only sells the matte version, I wanted glossy... :(
     
  16. DrSteven thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    Location:
    Houston, TX.
    #16
    Well they have the current models of MB, MBP, MBA

    1. just make sure it is "SOLD BY AMAZON.COM" it'll say.

    2. you save on taxes and free shipping.

    3. almost all the models have a rebate.

    4. same warranty, etc..

    As long as its "sold by amazon.com" I see no problems. Plus i think amazon's return policy is a little more liberal.

    Oh! and if the price drops even more within 30 days, they WILL credit you the difference.
     
  17. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

    skyrider007

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2007
    Location:
    Bangkok
    #17
    Congrats. I love the current MBP, they'll rule for the next 5-10 years!
     
  18. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

    BornToMac

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2008
    #18
    I finally gave in and bought a refurb 2.4ghz mbp / 8600 gt 256mb ram and I love it. Had a few problems and am actually in the process of getting a replacement. Absolutely love it though. It will be a good machine for a while and I don't think Apple will do a significant until the Montevwhatever chip comes out. If they put out a mbp with hdmi and blu ray...!!!:D
     
  19. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

    skyrider007

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2007
    Location:
    Bangkok
    #19
    Congrats, I've got the same machine - it's perfect!
     
  20. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

    shigzeo

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2005
    Location:
    Japan
    #20
    new design: i think you may be hoping for too much. if they redesign the thing, likely it will be similarly thin or thinner as has been the trend. if that is so, getting a significantly better video card will be impossible. there are not many or any video cards that you can put in such a smaller enclosure that are much better or even as good as the one as in the macbook pro. it is not a good gaming card yes, but it is a great video card.

    it does hi-def easily as i have watched several trailors in high def without droppped frames. it plays fairly current games well. i play oblivion (well i quit, found it a little silly) in almost highest settings at my native resolution.

    finally, if it is a new design, it might be good just to wait a bit to see if there are major or minor annoying hardware bugs. mine has a glare in the screen that i will go to see about perhaps -1st gen led mbp
     
  21. EricVT macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2008
    #21
    Despite the trend of making things smaller and lighter, I think it is silly to sacrifice hardware improvements on a "professional" laptop for the sake of making it smaller. I want a mix of portable and powerful...if I wanted to sacrifice the latter for more of the former I would be looking at a MacBook, not a MacBook Pro. It isn't as if the MBP is breaking any backs as it is...I'd rather have a better performing GPU than to have 6 ounces shaved off of the weight.

    I hope that a bump up to the 8800 series GPU is at least an option at some point this year.
     
  22. tip macrumors 6502

    tip

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2006
    #22
    Ugg. The MBA needs to have a smaller version, not a larger one.
     
  23. Starman27 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 28, 2007
    #23
    I'm calling BS on this right now. MBP's with those spec's won't be coming out for a while. With the Penryn upgrade, expect like 3.0 as the highest, and maybe 500gb HD if we're lucky.
     
  24. Gus! macrumors member

    Gus!

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2008
    Location:
    Down Under
    #24
    Have to agree with you there. The price for a 200gb SSD would be insane, how much is a 64gb in the MBA...oh only $999 bargain we won't be seeing 200gb at a fair price for a while yet. Sorry just don't buy it.

    Gus...
     
  25. tremendous macrumors 6502

    tremendous

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2008
    Location:
    UK? Yeah I'm OK. Stop asking.
    #25
    congratulations on your bizarre shopping habits!
     

Share This Page