Heads up to those purchasing refurbished iphones from AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RuggedPro, Sep 20, 2010.

1. RuggedPro macrumors regular

Purchased the phone Saturday. Was delivered and activated yesterday. Phone has the "spot of death" issue. Was informed by Apple that the phone has an original purchase date of July (previous owner) and therefor, I don't qualify regardless of the fact that I'm a new customer and I purchased the phone from AT&T.

Wouldn't have made a different $50 decision for a $10 piece of equipment but just a heads up to those who it applies too.

2. NathanA macrumors 6502a

3. iphone3DG3 macrumors member

I'm assuming it's the antennagate problem. I think it was very problematic with the iPhone 4s produced during late June/early July 2010. Later productions did seem to be better.

4. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I don't think the OP is taking about the iPhone 4, and if he/she is, than it would still be covered under the one year warranty period by Apple.

5. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I think he is talking about not qualifying for a bumper, since you have to order it within 30 days of getting your phone. We are now towards the end of September and his phone was originally registered in July.

6. iBaloney macrumors 6502

iBaloney

7. RuggedPro thread starter macrumors regular

This is correct.

My refurbished iphone 4 that was purchased by me, from AT&T this week, is not eligible for the free case program. My phone suffers from the antenna issue. Apple informed me; because the original purchase date of the phone was in July (previous owner) they couldn't do anything for me because of the 30 day window.

I'm sure if I pushed a little harder they would have relented but I was on the phone with them for 3 hours, not a joke, for another issue.

8. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Wait until after sept 30th, then make an appointment at the Apple store and show the genius the issue, then you might qualify for a free bumper.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/case-program/

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I agreed, you may not need to wait until 30th, just go to the Apple Store and try, the "official" policy is that just a small portion of the iPhone Suffer from this issue and if you can show that your phone is affected you'll get a free case 30 days from the day of your purchase, it doesn't mentioned Refurbish units, but you can try.

10. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Also, when you go to an Apple Store, take your receipt with you to show them that you recently purchased this phone and not in July.