Headsets

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Michael CM1, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I like using the included earbud headset that has the built-in microphone, but after a while earbuds REALLY hurt my ears. I mean they just feel like trying to squeeze a St. Bernard in through the cat door (thanks Mr. Foxworthy). But I still love the excellent call quality of having earphones on instead of a phone earpiece at one ear.

I saw a $20 microphone/iPhone audio adapter (Monster iSoniTalk) on the Apple Store Web site. I like these Sony over-the-ear headphones I have, so this seems like it would be an excellent idea (although an extremely long cord).

Anybody got any suggestions or products that I don't know about?

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

There are a few different products that will do this, one thing you might want to think about if you are semi handy at soldering is buying a pair of buds that you like and soldering those to the stock cables. It is a pretty easy job and takes about 15 minutes at most. (example here)

I bought the Griffin SmartTalk for my on/over the ear headphones and it is good and it duplicates all of the stock mic/control features and it only cost $20.

3. Michael CM1 thread starter macrumors 603

I am NOT good at soldering, so I'll skip your suggestion! But that Griffin device looks a lot like the Monster one. The only drawback to either one is the length of the overall cord (I have Sony over-the-ears that have what seems to be a 4-foot cord). Someone mentioned that in a review at the Apple Store.

I did find a solution from Monster...if I'm willing to part with $200 for headphones with a microphone (no). Bose makes great stuff but, for instance, that's half the cost of a PS3.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Did none of the other threads answer any of the questions that you have?