Heaed to Australia Wednesday Suggestions!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HD Fboy, Nov 9, 2008.

1. HD Fboy macrumors member

Ok we are headed to Australia for 2 weeks Wednesday. Both the wife and I. We both use Iphone 3G's. I know Text messaging is very expensive oversees. We also have a Aircard which we plg into a wireless router. Now, what is my best bet on maximum service with minimal costs? I already know I need to limit text messaging. What about contacts? I already know I need to dial into the "US" but I am not sure how to do this.

Thanks!!

2. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Do yourself a favor and just get a disposable phone or calling card--by far the cheapest, least complicated option. Keep your iphone with you just in case, but make sure it has the airport mode on--lest you return to the states with a $2k phone bill in your mailbox.

3. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

from what my friends that go there all the time, the post above is very correct. Also watch out for white sharks apparently (tahst my own suggestion my friends never tell me that) i knwo that's not what you were looking for as an aswer but thats the best i can do as well...

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Just get a cheap pre-pay phone. You can get em for around A$150 and it's much cheaper than international roaming.

Don't just go to the beaches, head inland if you've got the time - remember Australia is pretty much the same size as the contiguous US so places that look far apart, are far apart.

It's heading into summer down here now so expect some high temps, not too bad at the moment. As it's spring there can also be cold outbreaks so pack a pair of trousers and a light jumper (sweater) just in case.

If you're headed to the outback and are driving, avoid driving at night at all costs - it's far too dangerous with animals crossing the roads unless you're driving a road train and can brush all aside (including small cars).

Sydney CBD is relatively small but greater Sydney houses 4 million people so it's pretty busy traffic-wise. Study the maps, pull over if you need to and if all else fails ask someone.

Do the touristy things - they're pretty good. Climb the Harbour Bridge if you can afford it.

Most hotels have WiFi, there are internet cafés everywhere so connectivity isn't really a problem.

Just enjoy it, the weather's beautiful, the beaches are really starting to look inviting after a pretty cool winter and there's always something to do.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Pfft, as if he's going to Adelaide.

Nobody goes to Adelaide.

7. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

I would suggest not even taking your iPhones. I know it will be hard but if you dont I bet sometime in December we all see a thread "Went to AUS and now 5000 phone bill, HELP!"....no joke, take your iPhone and see. Do what someone else suggested above, buy a cheap pay as you go phone if you must take a phone with you.:rolleyes:

8. HD Fboy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone. We are going to a trade show. Trip is business. We hvae 2 days in Sydney on the front enad and back end. The rest of the time we will be in Canberra. We are not planning to get a car, but take the train.

As for the disposable phone and prepaid calling card, where do I buy these? Never done that!!

We will take the iphones for contacts and email via wi-fi. I think our conference has free wi-fi.

9. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

What a shame. Canberra is a hole. I have been there once and compared to the rest of Australia it sucks unless of course your into politics and war memorials. You should head out to the beach when your in Sydney.

10. HD Fboy thread starter macrumors member

The 2 days on the back end are at Manly Beach Resort north of Sydney. One of my high school classmates lives there. He suggested the hotel.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Pretty much everywhere in Canberra has WiFi - it's chock full of public servants.

Hot, dry, pretty boring. For a national capital it's pretty agricultural...

Manly's nice though, top spot to be.

12. HD Fboy thread starter macrumors member

Any suggestions on where to get a throw-away Phone and calling card in Sydney????