Health app Nutrition pointless?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by 3square, Sep 17, 2014.

1. 3square macrumors regular

the Nutrition Data seems pointless.

are we suppose to read and enter each nutritional panel of everything we eat? :rolleyes:

everything else seems like it can pair up with a device for measurements automatically.

2. hovscorpion12 macrumors 65816

hovscorpion12

If you want to, yes. HealthKit ran into a major bug close to release that 50% of the app is useless. If an individual has medical device using bluetooth or another way of connecting to the device running iOS 8, then that information is already filled out. For example, The Nike + that was previous bundled with iOS will count steps, runs, miles..etc and automatically sync with healthBook. Its very similar to Samsung's S-Health connected to Samsung's Galaxy Gear.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you need to track something, you can. Apple basically came up with 15,000 different data points to track, and you can track any of them. I have seen this crowdfunded cup that counts calories and maybe other stuff, so this could be a future-proofing feature on Apple's part.

Or it could be something for groups like Weight Watchers to use. If you use the WW app and say you ate a Big Mac, the app now will tell you basics like fat, carbs, sodium. Maybe in the future it could include EVERYTHING on well-known products like that.

So it's not pointless. It's just not going to be used as much as steps, miles, exercise, etc.

4. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

It is intended to interface with apps that supply the fine details. There are many nutritional and diet apps that have a database of this info. They can now interface with health kit and automatically enter data points.

The health kit app isn't intended for the user to enter in data points, although the option is there. It is intended to view and edit data points entered by third party apps.

5. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Check out MyFitnessPal - you search for what your eating and it tracks all that and more.

6. CEmajr macrumors 601

The primary functionality got pulled at the last minute due to some bug. So major apps like My Fitness Pal that track this stuff for you and were supposed to be compatible with the app don't work until Apple releases an update later on this month to fix it.

So yes it's pretty useless right now.

7. dsh3 macrumors 6502

dsh3

This.

Been using the app for a year, it's by far the best tracker out there.

8. MacFinnley macrumors 6502

MacFinnley

where can I activate that MyFitnessPal sends the data to the health-app?

9. Maetzle macrumors regular

Maetzle

I think you'll have to wait til' the end of September when Apple fixes HealthKit.

Agreed, when I was trying to get an overview of much I'm actually consuming I used MyFitnessPal as well. 95% of the things I wanted to enter were already in the database, even most products I scanned worked just fine and I didn't have to do anything else. Very useful.

10. dsh3 macrumors 6502

dsh3

My Health app has now started retrieving data from MFP, only the data from yesterday still though:

IMG_3292.PNG

Today's inputted data in MFP is yet to be pulled into Health for some reason. Not sure how it works.

Yep, same. And the food that isn't already in the database, is easily created for future use. And even possible to share with the public too, quickly making the database even more complete.

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

Did it input that data automatically? My nutrition from My Fitness Pal still won't sync with it yet so everything is just blank. Yesterday's results aren't in there either.

12. dsh3 macrumors 6502

dsh3

Yep. Same goes for the other macronutrients etc in MFP. Yet none of today's data inputted in MFP has appeared in Health. Makes no sense.

13. Ries, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

Ries macrumors 68000

All healthkit apps were pulled. Then the developers deactivated healthkit and re-released them without support. Won't work until Apple fixes healthkit and developers reactivate support for it.

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/custom...t-find-myfitnesspal-in-app-store-sept-17-2014

14. dsh3 macrumors 6502

dsh3