Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
Does anyone have a clue as to how to use this app? I'm just trying to get it to show something as simple as calories burned. I keep looking for tutorials online but haven't really found anything. I can get it to show distance walked and stairs climbed but I don't see a way to get it to show anything about calories even though it's listed under "health data" is doesn't actually seem to track it.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
For calories, you either have to input them manually, or use a third-party app like MyFitnessPal.

Steps, stairs, and miles/km are automatic, but everything else requires you or a third-party app. The App Store has a whole section for the apps that share data with Health, and the number is growing daily.

It'll get better over time as more apps start to interact with it, but its main purpose is to be an aggregator.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I get the aggregator idea but the UI is *miserable* it is hard to believe this comes from Apple. I do now have it setup to show for example Calories, Steps, Walking Distance, and Stairs Climbed on the main page (aggregating my iPhone 6, MyFitnessPal, and Garmin Connect) but hell if I can look at detail on steps taken on a specific day OTHER than today. You can for example look at today's view, a week view, a month view etc. but try to go back in time? I can't figure it out. The colors and graphs are hard to read... its just hard to believe this is even a half serious attempt at fitness info. Apple needs to look at the work of apps like Jawbone UP, Fitbit, MyFitnessPal, LoseIt, MapMyRun, Strava etc. to see how to do this.

I assume it will get better... with iOS 9. :-(

itsjustmeee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2008
For calories, you either have to input them manually, or use a third-party app like MyFitnessPal.

Steps, stairs, and miles/km are automatic, but everything else requires you or a third-party app. The App Store has a whole section for the apps that share data with Health, and the number is growing daily.

It'll get better over time as more apps start to interact with it, but its main purpose is to be an aggregator.

I was hoping it would just display calories burned like the Fitbit does. A nice simple display without having to load another 3rd party health app, make an account and go through all of that. Apple should really make it easier.

nathdogg

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Health app.....

I've been getting this for the past three days. No amount of restarting or fiddling with settings fixes it.

**edit**

I have now managed to get the data back by doing a reset all settings, which really isn't idea at all.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413131731.275127.jpg

Last edited:

jo n oh

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
I have all the categories I need displayed and filled, except "resting calories". Anyone know what app will do that?

I already have MFP, Map My Fitness, Jawbone Up (the blue one), and Withings (I have the scale)...I'm so close :)

darthbane2k

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
I have all the categories I need displayed and filled, except "resting calories". Anyone know what app will do that?

I already have MFP, Map My Fitness, Jawbone Up (the blue one), and Withings (I have the scale)...I'm so close :)

Blood glucose? How did you get that filled? I'm a diabetic - so far haven't found a single app that talks to HealthKit

jo n oh

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2013
Blood glucose? How did you get that filled? I'm a diabetic - so far haven't found a single app that talks to HealthKit

I should have been clearer, I have almost all the fitness/sleep info I need.

I can't believe there isn't an app for tracking blood glucose in HealthKit. Hopefully it will happen soon or someone with better knowledge can help you out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.