iPhone Health Data Double entry

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Enjoylife1788, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Enjoylife1788 macrumors 6502a

So I am using Runkeeper, MyfitnessPal and lark to maintain a lot of my workout, sleep and food entries. Since they are all connected through health, it makes the entire logging very convenient.

Now my question is that when I went for a run, I started using Runkeeper for that. Now since it is connected to MyFitnessPal, it recorded the entry of my workout in MyFitnessPal. However I noticed that in addition of the jog, the number of steps too were increased. So that means the number of calories burnt would also be double or not?

Will they not give correct representation of the data? I am confused.

Somebody will knowledge please shed some light.

2. NoBoMac, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014

NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

No. Maybe.

One app takes precedence in Health App.

So, click on the data item, let's say "Active Calories". Then, "Share Data". You will see a list of data sources that can add to HA. Click "Edit", then arrange the list in the order you wish. Top of the list is the king of the hill re: data, others become secondary when primary not recording.

That said, what an app does with data it reads from HA is their problems. For example, my MyFitnessPal has more steps in it than the HA. In OP case, appears MFP is adding steps from walking around as well, either from HA or some other gyrations on their part. Still, it's a MFP issue to deal with the data correctly, HA is really just a logging and display tool (ie. most input to HA is coming from other external sources).

3. Sin macrumors regular

I would love to know how to prevent/fix the double-counting that happens even when you have only one app/device (i.e the phone itself) doing the step counting.

Once every week or so Health just decides to import a whole pile of data it's already imported. It's impossible to hand-edit to fix because there are so many entries and it takes minutes just to display the list in the first place.

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I thought the health app was going to be quite useful, if only to satisfy my curiosity, but the data it records is erroneous. It's just a mass of single entries and most of it is incorrect. For instance yesterday I must have climbed 30+ flights of stairs but according to my health app I only climbed two. This kind of bogus reporting fills my weekly data to the point that the whole app seems quite useless.