Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shamelin73

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
East Texas
I had to re-pair my watch because the heath app said my watch was no longer paired. however everything seemed fine. I unpaired and set it back up and now all my previous data is gone. Is there a way to get it back?

I restored the watch with the backup from today. but app on the phone lost all the data.

shamelin73

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
East Texas
Was your backup encrypted? If not, it would not include your health data.

It is a security feature.

Yes the backups are encrypted but lost the first 2 months of data when it was set back up and restored with the backup instead of a new watch.

Everything I have looked at says my backups are encrypted.

jaybar

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2008
I am on my fourth AW.

I had the same problem relative to the health app not being paired. I had to set it up as a new watch. Since I only had data in the health app for only about a month, I did not care about data loss. When I tried to restore from a backup (over air), I had all my data but still got the not paired status. Only setting it up as a new watch eliminated that.

Moreover, I had to select manual pairing without using the camera.

The whole thing is inconsistent. Over air backups of the iPhone, which has the watch data too are not encrypted. Yet, when I returned my previous watches to the Apple Store, for a replacement, they setup my new watch using a backup, which had my health data and yet I don’t think it was encrypted. Also when I returned the watches to the Apple store (three times ), they unoaired them, which should have removed them from my device list for my AppleID. Every Watch was still there. As I said before, the whole process is inconsistent.

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
Isn't the health data stored in iCloud? Have you checked to make sure that is turned on in the Phone's iCloud settings?

shamelin73

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 28, 2019
East Texas
I am not sure but wish that I wouldn't have lost the 2 or 3 months. Oh well just have to do some research to see if I can figure out how not to let this happen again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.