Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mattymoocow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Hi all,
Just letting you all know (in case you don't already - I found out the hard way), your health data - which includes any activity/workouts/achievements is not backed up via a normal iPhone backup.

To ensure that this data is backed up you must either enable backup encryption or backup your iPhone to iCloud.

I did an IOS restore after a normal backup, to then find once I did a backup restore that all my health data was lost. Thankfully I've only had the watch for just over a week. A little disappointed though to have lost the data - hopefully it saves someone from loosing theirs.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I found out early that the Heath data was not backed up and called up Apple. They had a good excuse and told me that due to the sensitivity of the Health Data they were requiring the back ups be encrypted. I was luck and was still about to do another back up with the turned on.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Hi all,
Just letting you all know (in case you don't already - I found out the hard way), your health data - which includes any activity/workouts/achievements is not backed up via a normal iPhone backup.

To ensure that this data is backed up you must either enable backup encryption or backup your iPhone to iCloud.

I did an IOS restore after a normal backup, to then find once I did a backup restore that all my health data was lost. Thankfully I've only had the watch for just over a week. A little disappointed though to have lost the data - hopefully it saves someone from loosing theirs.
Health data is far to sensitive and dangers and MUST be protected. In many cases Health data contains medical data. It must be encrypted. Read here to understand.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203037

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
so contact numbers, naked selfies, login information etc doesn't need to be encrypted, but the fact that I ran 3 miles or exercised for 30 minutes is too dangerous and MUST be encrypted?

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
so contact numbers, naked selfies, login information etc doesn't need to be encrypted, but the fact that I ran 3 miles or exercised for 30 minutes is too dangerous and MUST be encrypted?

Correct. Health data is protected by HIPAA laws and although it was just a run its recorded in an area/application that contains more sensitive health data. Not personally caring is not an excuse to not support protection of your data. The other items you mention are important as well but not protected by healthcare laws.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Personal Health data is bring used in medical research and medical trials. So yes this is far more important naked selfies. Also login (password) data is encrypted in Keychain.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/15/us-apple-health-idUSKBN0HA0Y720140915

http://www.apple.com/researchkit/?sr=hotnews.rss

Mattymoocow

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010

I agree - its total ********. what sensitive information in health kit? My blood type, my weight, my exercise information? what a crock!

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I don't mind. I agree that I just wish I had known before I lost my first 6-8 weeks of history when I restored my phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.