Health Question

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by TRICKorDEVICE, Mar 2, 2015.

1. TRICKorDEVICE macrumors 6502a

So I've noticed that nothing is writing to the "Active Calories" section in the health app. This despite running with the phone and using the Nike+ Running app, which writes to the Health app as well.

Does anyone else have this behavior? Does anyone have anything writing to the "Active Calories" section in Health?

Any help is appreciated.

2. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Runtastic Me can write in "active calories". Nike fuel has only one dashboard

3. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

The Nike+ Running app doesn't. Strava does which you could use for your runs instead?

4. TRICKorDEVICE thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I'm just curious why the iPhone itself doesn't write to this category, as the phone is also tracking activity at the same time.

Thoughts?

5. seinman macrumors regular

Because the phone itself does not calculate calories burned, only steps and flights climbed.

Calories burned is a computed figure based on your movement, weight, age, gender, and specific activity being performed.

A lot of apps will calculate that for you since your phone will not, but those apps make you tell it what you're doing if you aren't walking or running to make the figure more accurate. I use Fitbit myself. It calculates my walking/running calories automatically, but any time I am exercising in a different manner (for example, using an elliptical machine) I have to tell it what I'm doing and for how long so it can calculate an approximate figure for calories burned.

6. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

I am guessing the Watch will do this and feed into Health Kit.