HealthKit has no iCloud sync?!

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by RosOne, Oct 6, 2014.

1. RosOne macrumors regular

Is that on purpose? Was anything ever mentioned by Apple about iCloud syncing your HealthKit data? Seems silly to me to lose all data if you switch iPhones, use multiple devices or you have to restore :confused:

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

My guess is privacy. Is it included in backups?

3. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

From Apple

"When is iTunes Backup the best choice for me?

iTunes Backup is best for you if:

You frequently use the computer that hosts your iTunes Backups.
    You don't have an iCloud account or don't want to use iCloud.
    You want on-site and networked backups.
    You would like a manual or secondary backup solution to use together with iCloud Backup.
    Keep in mind that iTunes Backup doesn't create a duplicate back up of your movies, music, podcasts, and apps. When you back up, your media content is synced from your primary computer using iTunes.

If you want to back up your HealthKit data using iTunes, you need to encrypt your backup by selecting "Encrypt iPhone backup" in the Summary tab in iTunes. If you don't select this option, your HealthKit data won't back up.
    "

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5262

4. RosOne thread starter macrumors regular

5. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

It's designed for your own privacy.

I wouldn't want my personal health information stored in ANY cloud unless it was strongly encrypted.

6. RosOne thread starter macrumors regular

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Any "cloud service" could become an open book. Not just iCloud.

Don't let these companies convince you otherwise.

ANY company.

8. RosOne thread starter macrumors regular

9. aberrero macrumors 6502a

I was wondering why it wasn't syncing to my iPad.

This is incredibly stupid. It's not like I have my entire history of PTSD treatment in there, I just use it to track how much I walk every day.

Hopefully a third party app will gather up all the healthkit data, sync it with dropbox, and then dump it back into healthkit on another device.

10. AbSoluTc macrumors 68040

AbSoluTc

This would explain why my health data was wiped out after a backup/restore from iCloud. I don't like how I need to connect it to iTunes and have an encrypted backup in order to backup my data.

Like another person mentioned here, I don't store any vital info and even if I did, it's fine by me to use iCloud. This seems pretty antiquated. I get the reason why but it's a PITA. So what's the point of iCloud again if it's not doing everything?

:confused:

11. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Seems kind of dumb for Apple to have excluded backup of HealthKit data and reserved it only for encrypted iTunes backup. If they want HealthKit to be taken seriously, they should have enabled some sort of secure, encrypted iCloud backup and sync linked to your Apple ID.

I don't have much faith in the HealthKit app at the moment with the possibility of losing all your data which you've tried hard to log and record.

12. Ries macrumors 68000

I would. They should give me the choice to back it up.

13. Rigby macrumors 601

According to Apple it is included in iCloud backups and encrypted iTunes backups:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6357

<begin quote>
    You can back up the data stored in the Health app to iCloud. Your data is encrypted as it goes between iCloud and your device, and while it's stored in iCloud.

If you're not using iCloud, you can back up your health data with iTunes if you select "Encrypt iPhone backup" in the Summary tab.
    <end quote>

Developers are explicitly prohibited from doing that by the developer guidelines.