HealthKit: how to disable

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Ash Pole, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Ash Pole macrumors member

Why can't I stop this from logging my movements?
    I have no need for this data and neither does anyone else.

2. jahall05 macrumors regular

Why?

You don't have need for this data, but some people might find it useful so don't say nobody wants it.

As far as I am aware, there is no way to stop it from logging this kind of data. What does it matter though? The data is stored in the health app...you could just hide the health app away in a folder and not worry about it. Please help me understand why it matters if this app is collecting data on how many steps you are taking a day?? :confused:

3. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

It's just displaying the data the M7/M8 coprocessor records. As far as I'm aware, there is no way to disable it. It's the Apple way of doing things, haha.

It doesn't eat up any battery though, so it shouldn't have any effect on battery life or the performance of the phone since it uses it's own coprocessor.

4. Ash Pole thread starter macrumors member

Let me re-phrase that. I would like to disable the data collection by this app since I have no need for it and either does anyone else when it involves logging my movements.

----------

It also outputs the data to a file that cannot be cleared or deleted....it's my data and I should be able to erase it if I choose.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'm with the two posters above, ... I've also never seen a way to disable it.

You can leave feedback regarding your feelings at http://apple.com/feedback

6. Ash Pole thread starter macrumors member

Apparently you can clear the data. From the Dashboard: Show All Data >>Edit>>Clear All

7. I7guy macrumors G5

I've been clearing it, but would like to disable it too. Don't understand why it can't be disabled as well.

8. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

It doesn't accumulate much data. I've never cleared mine and it is only occupying 1.7MB of space.

9. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

10. technosix macrumors 6502a

Using Apple products means they control whatever they please.

Some of which we're kept in the dark about. It's Apple and their closed ecosystem some rightfully call customer lock-in.

The term "Jail break" isn't coincidence :eek:

11. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Yeah, they should put a price on ios if you want to customize it or leave it free
    and restricted as it is now

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Looks like that might be the case seeing the options under Settings > Privacy > Motion & Fitness

13. fmalloy macrumors regular

Doesn't sound correct to me - the coprocessor still requires power that comes from...the battery. I can't envision this magical chip that requires no power.

14. KALLT macrumors 601

I think what he meant to say is that the motion processor is not using additional energy by itself, just because it records steps. It will just detect motions and record the data for the system to use. It will do that regardless whether you want it to or not. I assume that Apple doesn’t just use this processor for the Health app, but also for some system services. For instance, I can imagine that they use this to optimise GPS usage (e.g. if no motion is detected, it could just reuse the last location or allow for more efficient tracking). However, turning on motion tracking within the Health app should at least reduce a slight amount of computing required to interpret the data and convert it into steps.