HealthKit with iPhone 5 - What can you do?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by KUguardgrl13, Sep 27, 2014.

1. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

So I have my iPhone 5 updated to 8.0.2. What can I do with HealthKit and the Health app? I don't have a Fitbit or anything like that, and the 5 doesn't have the coprocessor to act as a pedometer. Is it pretty much useless to me except for emergency contacts?

2. trackbikes macrumors regular

The iPhone 5 does count steps, I have a 5 and several apps are available

you can use apps like map my walk or the withings app (due to be updated to work with health next week) there are a lot of pedometer apps that will also work

3. Ries macrumors 68000

Healthkit/Health is nothing more than a data store and exchange service. You can view and control the data stored, but it does nothing more than that. You have to use apps to get anything useful out of it, like setting goals, combining workout with food intake and so on.

4. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

A lot of people on here were talking about HealthKit, so I wasn't sure exactly what to call things. I was basically wondering what apps work with the 5. They all seem to talk about the m7 or m8 coprocessor which the 5 doesn't have.

5. CEmajr macrumors 601

You do need a 5S and up to count steps with your phone. Healthkit itself doesn't really do anything per se. It's an app to combine all of the data from various third party health related apps that you might be using. Gives you a one stop place to view and analyze all of your health/nutrition/exercise data from all of these apps. If you have an iPhone 5 then you'll have to use some other type of device if you want to count steps.

6. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

So the Health App (and by extension, Healthkit) is pretty much useless with the iPhone 5 unless you care about diet stuff, mapping a workout, or have an "extra" like a Fitbit. That's what I suspected. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Sorry Apple, that's still not enough to make me upgrade when my contract is up.

7. trackbikes macrumors regular

Well the health app will be pretty much useless to you on all devices if you don't care about diet, workouts or fitness

8. macenied, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Not true. My iPhone 5 counts steps, distance, speed, time, etc ... with an app from appstore, no other device needed. However, no Healthkit implementation ( yet ).

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id442894329?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

9. aham23 macrumors regular

the App is using GPS to estimate your steps. the iPhone 5 itself cannot "count steps" like the newer ones with the updated chip. its just semantics, but what it is.

10. macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

Sorry, its not like this. It counts steps from it's movement sensor, also indoor, also by not moving and only stepping. You can believe that or try with an iPhone 5.

I also can simulate stepping / walking / running by slightly knocking on my phone, it counts steps then.

11. menano macrumors regular

menano

I have the iPhone 5 and these are the apps I am currently using that are :apple:Health integrated:

- Fitport (on the iPhone 5, steps and other features have to be inserted manually)

- MyFitnessPal (insert your meals and calculate your calorie intake)

- FitStar (Virtual PT)

- Human (Registers time, distance and calories spent on activities such as walking, running cycling or exercising)

- Omvana (Meditation app, uses heart rate and other info to suggest appropriate meditation)

- MotionX (Sleep Monitor, Step calculator, Heart Rate measurement)

12. TAZ911 macrumors member

HealthKit with iPhone 5 - What can you do?

Unfortunately, HealthKit is pretty much just a viewer if data collected by other apps. On the 5 with no motion coprocessor you'll need a third party for even the steps part. Aside from being able to view stats it's useless. You still need to run various third party apps to get info collected. Not sure why people think it's sliced bread or why it's hyped as it is. It's NOT something worth upgrading for.

13. macenied, Sep 29, 2014

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

This is offtopic here, but:

From what I have read the motion coprocessor collects some data always ( I cannot recall what data exactly, but I'm sure you will find it, if you are interested ), while on the iPhone 5 you need an appliction for this and start it.

Other than that TAZ911 said it already:

HealthKit is pretty much just a viewer if data collected by other apps

14. BlueJ85 macrumors newbie

I set up myfitnesspal with it and it seems like it's pulling someone else's info because it isn't even remotely close to my own data. I really only did this for kicks. I don't like the step counter either because we did a lot of driving yesterday and it has a lot of steps. Maybe it is just me but I'm not finding it accurate at all.

15. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

you can Enter your Emergency Contact Info or Medical ID type stuff. for Height/weight, Blood Type.

nothing much without third-party stuff though.

16. iFalcon macrumors regular

Thanks for sharing. Great list! I need to check some of these out. However, I already know I sleep like crap...LOL.

17. Toltepeceno, Sep 29, 2014

Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

Thank you. I was looking for one like human, already have myfitnesspal, and will try the others.

Edit: List in tunes

https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewFeature?cc=us&id=905188867

18. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Thanks for these! I'll have to test them out. I want a way to track things like walking to start to encourage myself to exercise more consciously.

----------

Diets can be unhealthy (I.e. eating disorders). I eat pretty well, but I don't want to obsessively keep track of calories. I don't need to map runs with gps because I'm not a runner. I want to start to keep track of walking distance to motivate myself to do more. I'm in college. Setting aside time dedicated to working out is difficult.

19. CEmajr macrumors 601

Oh yeah you're right. Now that I think about it I remember using the app Pedometer when I had a 4S to count steps.

20. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

There are apps that will count steps on iPhones that don't have M7/M8 but the battery takes a huge hit since it has to keep the phone awake at all times. I would say at least 25-30% usage a day.

21. CEmajr macrumors 601

Diet in this sense doesn't necessarily mean "going on a diet" as you're implying. Diet is just what you eat on a regular basis. Many people find that putting their food/exercise data into an app like My Fitness Pal and actually seeing the numbers actually motivates them to do more. It's more than just obsessing over calories because calories alone don't determine much for how good or bad your diet is. As for working out, it only takes 45 minutes to an hour out of your 24hr day. Plenty of time for a daily workout if you have motivation.

If you just want to count steps download the Pedometer app.

22. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

If it were easy to find time in the day to work out, Americans wouldn't be overweight. Maybe you can find the time, but I haven't since school got busier and I quit marching band.

I was simply looking for apps that work with my phone for what I want. No need to judge.