Healthy Office Competivity?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by xpcker, Nov 6, 2011.

1. xpcker macrumors regular

Hi everyone!

i just wanted to ask, for people who work on software development, what do you think about office competivity? is it gooD? i have three teams in three diff projects, i would like to make something like prices or i don't know... some silly competitions just to have fun.

Anyone have been in this situation? is it good? baad? any ideas to promote union in the office?

pd: we are 9 in the office, 3 teams of 3.

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Slagging off the boss was always good for morale, and engendered the feeling of Family.

Is that what you are after??

3. xpcker thread starter macrumors regular

4. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Its always tough. I work in a pretty competitive office but there is a small handful of really sore losers. Every time they lose at a FUN competition, they bitch incessantly about how the rules weren't clear or a judgment call wasn't fair, etc. So it can be hard to strike the right balance.

5. xpcker thread starter macrumors regular

so in what kinda of "games" or works? i need ideas =P

because the three projects are very very different from eachother, so it would be unfair.

i can also buy and xbox and start shooting ourselves =P

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Showing disdain for the boss.

Oh, wait, that's you isn't it? :p

7. xpcker thread starter macrumors regular

we have good relationships

8. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I worked in a setting that had lots of competitions surrounding our sales bonuses. Between people working 10 hours a week and people working 40 we all had different sales goals to meet so that made us get pretty creative in setting up competition. We never really pit the employees against the boss. I think that's a tough situation to people in because you don't want to alienate them. I would look at a way to make everybody in the competition. You'll never be able to take all the variables out but do your best and change up the competitions frequently enough that nobody is ever losing for too long. That'll start to wear on them. We did new ones every month but every two probably would have been better if we put a tad more effort in. We did everything from individual races to team's of two right up to just splitting the team into two. Think of basically anything with a winner and a loser and there's probably a way to relate to what's happening at work. We did also didn't have a ton to spend each month on sales games. Maybe 50 bucks or so and then once every few months the manager would throw a few extra at if she felt we needed an extra incentive either because things were bad or because they were really good. Just keep things fresh and keep your team together. The last thing you want to do is lose the team. Don't make the prize something so crazy that people are literally fighting over it but it should still be desirable enough that they care. I hope that helps :)

9. imahawki macrumors 6502a

Things like scavenger hunts, puzzles/challenges (like putting facts about each other in to a hat and breaking up into teams and see who can match te most facts to the right team members, etc.). Things that require teamwork/team building.

10. xpcker thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your comments, really apreciate them

i search some games =P

11. imahawki macrumors 6502a

The other thing we've done is incorporate quick games at the end of our monthly staff meetings. Last week we divided up into channels (our department has 4 sub-departments) and had two people from each channel represent in a competition. They had to blow bubbles from behind a line, and the other person had to blow the bubbles 3-4 feet accross the room through a hula hoop. It was a lot of fun.