Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hypnosis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
What should the idle temps be to prevent battery damage? And under load?

My 2015 rMPB has ~35C whenever I watch a lot of videos or surf the web and have spotify running in the background for a couple hours.

Also, according to iStat only my right fan kicks on. There's nothing that shows RPM of left fan. Is this normal of iStat?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Don't worry about it. If you leave your Mac in a hot car all the time, that might cause a problem.

Hypnosis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
Don't worry about it. If you leave your Mac in a hot car all the time, that might cause a problem.

Okay. I'm only asking because CoconutBattery keeps giving me notifications that my battery temperature is too high. Also, do you have any idea of the iStat thing?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Okay. I'm only asking because CoconutBattery keeps giving me notifications that my battery temperature is too high. Also, do you have any idea of the iStat thing?

I got the same message from coconutBattery, and that along with iStat prompted me to freak out and think there was a problem with my rMBP.

So I took it to the Apple Store, and it turns out absolutely nothing was wrong with it.

So basically, don't worry about it. The temps are higher than previous thresholds, but the 2015 rMBPs deem perfectly fine running a little warmer than before. Ultimately if there's really an issue, your rMBP is supposed to shut itself off as a protection measure.

Hypnosis

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
I got the same message from coconutBattery, and that along with iStat prompted me to freak out and think there was a problem with my rMBP.

So I took it to the Apple Store, and it turns out absolutely nothing was wrong with it.

So basically, don't worry about it. The temps are higher than previous thresholds, but the 2015 rMBPs deem perfectly fine running a little warmer than before. Ultimately if there's really an issue, your rMBP is supposed to shut itself off as a protection measure.

Yeah true. Thanks for the response. Did you take it to the Genius Bar and ask them about it? What'd they tell you? Just curious.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Yeah true. Thanks for the response. Did you take it to the Genius Bar and ask them about it? What'd they tell you? Just curious.

I did. Showed them what coconut battery was saying, and also showed them iStat menus and the 0RPM readings I was getting (thought both my battery and fan were fried).

Three takeaways:

1. Starting with the Broadwell-based Macs, there's a different set of diagnostics being used. With previous Macs a Genius has to plug the Mac in to Ethernet to boot Apple Store diagnostics that way. Now there's a wifi-based special boot up they can trigger, that runs diagnostics and sends the results to one of their iPads. Among other things, it shows battery health and runs the Fan through a range of test RPMs.

2. All these tests came back normal. Battery is fine, fan working as designed. Genius even commented that "the test results look exactly like what we'd expect from a new Mac out of the box." Apparently, there actually are instances where a 2015+ MacBook Pro will run with fan off. If a certain temperature/load is reached, the fan kicks in.

3. As the technology in Macs evolve, so does resource management. And unfortunately a lot of these diagnostic and "helper" apps don't update with the new expectations. Memory "cleaner" apps are an example of this. They cater to people who insist that an efficient computer has as much free RAM as possible, but that's not the case with Mavericks and above, which are designed to maximize the use of RAM for caching. Memory cleaner apps make these OSes run less efficiently, and while they don't cause real harm, they don't help anything either.

Ultimately, if your 2015 rMBP isn't acting erratically, isn't shutting down on its own, and isn't throwing kernel panics, then it's most likely just fine. Take warnings from diagnostic apps with a grain of salt, especially if the app is the only thing telling you that something's wrong and nothing's obviously out of sorts.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.