Hear my plea, MacRumors

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Dogenzaka, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Dogenzaka macrumors newbie

I got a beautiful working 16GB Week 46 John Lennon iPod touch last week.
    I've been toying with it since a few days ago, just enjoying it. Yesterday I decided to try jailbreaking it.

Sadly I didn't find a tutorial detailed enough to help me at the time.
    I did recovery mode all wrong, and my tutorial gave me the iPhone 1.1.1 software and then my iPod touch was bricked (I thought) and I hooked it up and it was just a white screen. Suddenly it went back to normal, but when I tried to restore it to the iPod 1.1.1, I get 1604 errors, and now it just shows the "connect to iTunes screen" no matter what I do.

Bought it from Best Buy. Will they take it back easily? Is there a way to fix it? Any at all? This really pissed me off. Jailbreaking is not worth it because there's not a damn detailed tutorial for doing it on 1.1.2

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I hope the realise what you have done and refuse to take it back: it's time you took responsibility for your actions. You broke it. Deal with it.

3. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Now I know why we have asinine warnings on obviously risky actions.
    Are we to understand that you didn't realize the risks involved in hacking a piece of hardware? Furthermore, the tutorials, or inadequacy thereof, are somehow to blame?

I'm truly sorry that you destroyed some hardware that you spend quite a bit of money on, but you really need to consider it lesson learned and swallow the bitter pill.

4. Dogenzaka thread starter macrumors newbie

I wasn't asking for a morality lesson.
    I was asking if there was a way to fix it, if not, I can bring it back to Best Buy.

And yes I blame the tutorial, because I knew nothing about this.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2007/11/19/help-key-how-to-jailbreak-your-ipod-touch-with-112/

It gave me the wrong firmware and I didn't know it was wrong until someone told me. Click on the 1.1.1 download link.

And their downgrading instructions didn't work for me, because that's not how my computer dealt with it. It didn't recognize it in recovery mode.

5. caubeck macrumors 6502

Try all the different procedures mentioned in the forum for restoring it to factory conditions.

If you can't get it working, you'll be the first I've heard of to actually destroy the iPod Touch.

Don't give up, though.

6. Dogenzaka thread starter macrumors newbie

Well thank you.
    Have you had this problem before?

7. caubeck macrumors 6502

Not me, mine went well the first time, fortunately.

Sorry I can't help.

8. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

As someone else said, you should always be able to restore the Touch. Try this-

Let us know if it works. I read this somewhere, but didn't need to use it myself.

9. Dogenzaka thread starter macrumors newbie

My iTunes always recognizes it as an iPod in recovery mode, it says in order to use it I must restore, but when I restore from any sort of firmware, it gives me a 1604 error in the middle of the restore and stops it...

I'm trying a restore one more time, and it's doing it. Let's pray that a 1604 error doesn't pop up (i'm using a different computer now)

EDIT: YESSSS IT RESTORED. OMG THIS SAVES ME A TRIP TO BEST BUY XD

Now can someone give me as detailed of instructions as they can to restore to 1.1.1? xD

10. dagored macrumors 65816

If you insist. Go here: http://conceitedsoftware.com/iphone/site/112jb.html

Download the folder. It contains all the necessary info. Read the README.txt. Take your time. If done properly, you are looking at 10 minutes tops. If it takes longer, you are doing something wrong and should not be doing this.

Again. I have yet to hear of anyone bricking a Touch from trying to jailbreak. Restoring is easy. Just in case - remember if all else fails -

open iTunes
    -plug the iPod into the computer
    -hold both sleep/wake and home button until iPod restarts.
    -let go of of the sleep/wake button when you see Apple logo.
    -continue to hold home button until iTunes pops up with recovery mode
    -click yes, and your iPod will be restored to its factory settings.

11. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I'm glad it's working.. Out of curiosity, what would you have said as to why you were returning it?

12. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

you've been a member since sept and you never managed to find a jailbreak tutorial did you even look on here or ask for help?

13. Ilovemyipod macrumors regular

Ilovemyipod

Omg

DUDE IM 14 and i figured it out.

Its called reading and watching youtube videos

14. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Well, that's where I would go when doing something that may break my hardware. ;)

15. dagored macrumors 65816

You apparently know nothing about programming. The Touch is nothing but a big flash card with an operating system loaded on it. There are other parts, but the main OS can be manipulated. It can be updated, restored, rewritten and yes set free (jailbreak).

I have freed two and not one problem. In fact, I use the Touch much more now. Its just not a music and video player anymore.

Most of the problems are either user error or computer operating systems. I have yet to have any of my 4 Macs not recognize any of my ipods.

16. iLoveiPod macrumors regular

let the battery completely drain. then try hooking it back up again. You might want to do into disk utility and try to do some work from there. Toooooo baddd.

17. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

I think you need to re-read my post. I'm suggesting that YouTube may not be the end-all-be-all source for technical information, especially when dealing with the loading and manipulation of software running on a device.

I am fully aware that firmware can be modified, updated and in general hacked with; I am also brutally aware that doing such things, be it a cell phone, camera, iPod, router, etc, can very well "brick" said device. Hence "proceed at your own risk" disclaimers.

Respectfully Signed,
    A programmer of 11 years.

18. mingenyx macrumors regular

even though it restored you should not complain about the tutorial
    There are good ones and bad ones you just have to do research instead of just doing the first one you think will work.
    When i first read it i knew it wouldnt have been "broken" but next time do more research.

Glad you fixed your problem though.

19. dagored macrumors 65816

I got you by 15 years. "brick" describes a device that cannot function in any capacity (such as a machine with damaged firmware). This usage derives from the machine now being considered "as useful, and as entertaining, as a brick."

A cell phone, camera, router, I will agree. The Touch can be restored. Big difference.

20. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm not a hacker and jaulbreaking is soooooooooooo easy now-a-days that its not even funny. I was one of the first people who jailbroke the iPod back when there was like 50 manual steps that involved Terminal commands and SSH access but I was still able to to it.

A few things to remember when doing things like this.

1. Don't just dive in... Read the whole thing first and if its a forum, read a bunch of comments to find out if people are having problems.

2. Download everything you need before you start.

3. Take your time and be patient.

4. If something goes wrong, do a search on how to PROPERLY restore an iPod touch.

5. Double check to make sure the instructions are for the iPod touch and not the iPhone... They are often jailbroken in different ways.

6. Remember, its impossible to brick your iPod with software. That's like saying you can't re-install OS X because you deleted the System folder.