Heard an interesting comment today.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheAppleGeek, Jun 22, 2010.

1. TheAppleGeek macrumors 6502a

Me and a friend were talking today, and I briefly mentioned iPhone 4, and how I plan on waking early to get it. He looked at me and told me how stupid it is someone would do that. He then went on to say, "I don't get what the big deal is. My phone can do anything an iPhone can." At that point, he changed the discussion.

I was reminded of the phone he has (a Samsung touch screen phone) and I realized how a ton of people won't ever pay attention to what features people have. Yes, the general public will care less about a front-facing camera and a gyroscope being added, but it makes me think how I could never not care about technology.

Does anyone else feel the same? It feels really odd talking about technology to one (or more) who could not give a crap about it.

2. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Yep. I've been this way all my life, and most of my friends and family couldn't care less.

But I'm the one they ask whenever they have a techie question, or need to make a purchase. ;)

3. DaftDrunk macrumors regular

Through the desert on a horse with no name
  4. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I had the same discussion with one of my friends and he said the same thing about his phone is better than any iphone.

He has an android g1:rolleyes:

5. ajones46 macrumors 6502

6. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

Ha! So true.

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I have learned over the years that I only want tools or gadgets that do their job really well. It's not just electronics. I've owned all sorts of kitchen gadgets that claim to make life so much easier by slicing this and chopping that and juicing this and grilling that. And they might in fact do what they advertise, but is it worth the hassle? Does it really save you time? Gadgets like the Slap Chop, for example, they do the job as advertised but they're a pain to clean and then by the time you've put all the effort into taking them apart, cleaning them, putting them away, you might as well have just taken out your good quality kitchen knife and done it "the old fashioned way".

I use that as an analogy for electronics. To some people it's all about specs -- whose phone has more RAM or gigahertz or storage space. Which has the higher-powered GPU, the higher resolution screen. Which one has more apps, the longer checklist of included features. But the real question is do you USE all that stuff? Or do you just want a reliable phone that makes phone calls when you need it to?

If you're a gadget lover, then by all means, get the shiniest toy with the longest list of features. But I've learned that, just like the Slap Chop, sometimes all you really wanted was a good phone, and nothing (or not much) else.

So when I buy electronics, or tools, or anything else, I buy a good quality one that will do the job I want it to do, not necessarily the flashiest or newest or most feature-laden.

8. markthrash macrumors regular

markthrash

Sometimes I feel that way. But fortunately I have an older brother that's ten times the iPhone nerd that I am. Except he has the patience to wait til January for a new iPhone. Haha.

9. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

yeah people can be stupid when it comes to tech. they just make assumptions about everything. Alot of my friends are the same way. until they see me do something cool on my iphone/ipad. then they say its "ok" haha.

10. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

This man speaks the truth!

11. Mark Booth macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Some people were born to stay stupid their entire lives. All the proof you need can be found in some of the topics throughout this forum.

Mark

12. Theclamshell macrumors 68030

Reading this makes me appreciate that fact that i go to a tech/voc school in class with a bunch of other techies!

13. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

Same.

You become quite socially different if this happens in high school!

Haha never had that problem but yeah I come from a family that's basically technologically....retarded.

I had to go to Best Buy with my mother so she could buy a new TV, a widescreen movie trailer was playing and for next 5 minutes all I heard was "Why are those 2 black lines on the screen? Oh I don't like that at all..."

Yeah.

14. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

thank god my dentist loves apple. I just went in the other day and we talked so much about apple. then he drilled a filling and well yea.. but then again after we talked for like 30 minutes.. then played with his ipad and talked about the ipone 4. so i got my fix it was great.. excited about going to the dentist always a weird one haha

15. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

My dentist's assistant is like that too! She talks about everything Apple haha.

16. apple3g040193 macrumors 6502

apple3g040193

My brother does nothing but complain about the battery on his 3g, but when I try to tell him to take his brightness off full and maybe just maybe not text every spare second of the day. He says that has nothing to do with it I hate talking tech with the technologicly challanged.

17. redman042 macrumors 68020

I was the first person in my 50-person company to get an iPhone and use it partially for business (Exchange email, etc.). Most wrote it off as a toy, particularly my boss, who had a Palm Treo at the time. He struggled and struggled with that thing but wouldn't listen to me when I said that the iPhone would "just work". He upgraded to a Tilt and hated it even more.

Finally one day he bought an iPhone. He has been hooked ever since. So hooked in fact that he's bought about 5 of them, most at full retail, because he has a horrible habit of losing his phone. But since he keeps coming back, I have to assume he's happy with Apple.

My office now has at least 10 dedicated iPhone users, and growing. They all come to me for advice. I'm just waiting for my next trend-setting move--the iPad--to take hold.