Heard that there's going to be a feature limited model...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iMule, Mar 25, 2009.

1. iMule macrumors 6502

While nobody knows the complete truth about the new iPhone expected this summer, including myself, I heard some new stuff from a guy in my class that works at AT&T. The first thing he told me was that they're trying very hard to get rid of all iPhones (3G) around May. He said they're pushing really hard (hence the no contract obligation). Second, he said that a lower end model was going to be added to the lineup that had a cheaper data plan (to get everyone using an Apple brand phone). He knew nothing about hardware updates, which makes sense at this time. I'm sure most of you, since this forum is huge, know someone who works at AT&T and this could be total garbage, but everything he told me in the past has been true so far.

2. actorkid macrumors 6502

3. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I'm sure at those cheap unsubsidized prices, those phones must be flying off the shelves, too!

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

because your friend is privy to such info working as a retail kid for att:rolleyes:

5. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Naw it's a rumor site first and foremost, so I don't get all the flaming on here about future models.

Secondly, May makes sense.. especially since the iPhone is suppose to be released in China in May and they already list it having MMS on the website.. which requires 3.0. So for this to happen they would have to sell phones with 3.0 in May.
    :apple:

6. iMule thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm just passing on this information because it's what I heard. I'm not trying to start a riot and if it ends up not to be true, I'm sorry, but that's not what my intentions were.

7. actorkid macrumors 6502

come on...a low end model? Cheaper data plan? How exactly do you expect that to work? Hasn't apple even been quoted saying that they have no interest in a low end phone? That the iPhone is the best phone out there and that it appeals to the people it appeals to. Of course they'd want "the apple brand" in everyone's hands, but it's not worth it to release shoddy products to try and do so.

8. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Ah, go easy on the guy.

That's believable, well, the part where he says they are trying to get rid of stock towards the end of May part anyways. I won't believe anything 100% as far as new iPhones go until Apple themselves reveal such a device.

And I'm just wondering how fast those no contract phones are gonna FLY off the shelves tommorrow as well, I still don't see where that makes much sense as far as helping deplete inventory. :rolleyes:

9. actorkid macrumors 6502

look...I'm not trying to start anything...I'm just saying its highly improbable.

the fact that they are trying to move stock out quickly, however, is highly probable, and I'm sure you're correct about that...but I would think it would be to make way for a new, and GREATER, iPhone....not a low end

10. iMule thread starter macrumors 6502

Unsubsidized or not, correct me if I'm wrong, but the 3G wasn't available for the masses until the end of December/beginning of January. That's close to 6 months. Sure as hell beats having to take your chances with ebay. Apple did say that about lower end. And now we're hearing rumors of a netbook... Didn't they say they wouldn't ever sell a netbook also? Not saying both are going to happen, but you never know. When you have an opportunity for more dough and it will pay off, you go for it.

11. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

The iPhone Nano is 100% going to come out this year. Probably in June.

Cheaper price, longer battery, smaller size, no data plan, higher res screen, new app store - 100% confirmed.

12. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

Ya know, I was just thinking after reading your post, what if...

The 8GB model drops down to the $99 range or let's say the 8GB is done for and the lowest is the 16GB at $200 and they make these (being the current 3G) the low end model with cheaper data plan (20 bucks?) and a new model which will run at the rumored faster data service (7.2whatever) for the current data pricing at what, 30 bucks?

I dunno, just a thought. They'll give us what they'll give us and they'll take what they can take. Doesn't matter, you either pay for it or ya don't. :rolleyes:

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the same 100% that was supposed to happen this last jan? lol

14. =MuLti-CeLL= macrumors 6502a

=MuLti-CeLL=

MODERATER!

CODE RED!

CLOSE THREAD IMMEDIATELY!

EVACUATE!!!

:D

15. iMule thread starter macrumors 6502

That could be very true. Keep in mind, the guy who told me has never seen or held the thing (at least nobody in the world that has posted true evidence).

16. actorkid macrumors 6502

Hah. Actually in a consumer's world, it would be a pretty good idea. Hell, I still have the original iPhone. The only reason I won't take the dive to the 3G right now is because of the extra 10 bucks per month in data. But for some reason, I just don't see it happening. If that happens, then every single person that owns a 3G will instantly get a $10 break on their bills. And i know that a GOOD amount of people would just take that deal and run...while another group would buy the new phone since they'd be paying the same amount monthly.

Now if only a new iPhone were to come out, with the same data plan as the 3G, you would probably get most 3G owners to upgrade since their service is the same price. You would also get a fair amount of 2.5G owners upgrading since their iPhones are 2 years old and ready to be replaced.

If a new phone comes out this summer, I'll probably replace my 2.5G

17. ThE.MeSsEnGeR macrumors 6502a

ThE.MeSsEnGeR

HEHEHE!! Soooo True!
    Can't take it with yet another NANO epidemic !!!
    can't u all Nano-Lovers just "NANO" your love about it, and diminish it?!:confused:

18. joshellis625 macrumors 6502

joshellis625

Well the whole point of this site is news on rumors right? :p so hell anything could happen i guess. It's interesting to hear things like this cause it sparks the imagination and gets us even more pumped for future releases... maybe its a conspiracy... lol

19. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I haven't figured out the absolute terror some people seem to feel about a lower-featured iPhone model. I would probably buy a pair of them for my parents if they were available at about $50 with a contract and without a data plan. People their age just really don't get the buttons because they really aren't very explanatory.

I can tell my mom likes it when the iPhone says "END CALL" on the phone. It's hard to mistake that. If I were at Apple, I'd really push for such a phone, especially to tackle the senior market. Most of us on here love all of the little innovations on the iPhone, but there are millions across the planet that could use a simple phone that had big buttons and easy-to-read instructions and buttons on a touch screen.

20. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    How quickly we forget ...

Less hardware? Cheaper data plan?

Sounds like the original iPhone model.

:p

21. iMule thread starter macrumors 6502

What would the iPod be today if it weren't for the mini, nano, and all the other models? I'm sure some people would love to get their hands on a lower end apple phone (maybe if it was just for texting with an ipod included) that aren't as tech savvy as the rest of us. For instance, my dad loves my phone when I get it out and show him all the stuff. He's been debating on getting one now for 6 months. By the time he whips his reading glasses and I have to tell him all of the finger gestures, his attention is lost and he hands it back. Some people, such as my aunt who purchased the original iPhone, had it just to make a statement. Not once have I seen her using it for anything other than a phone. There's a market for a lower end model. And why would it hurt us? I'm going to shell out the cash for the next big model no matter what it is!

22. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

I present to you all... The Nano!

[leaked pictures][​IMG][/leaked pictures]

23. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I guess the question you should ask yourself is if Apple sells a stripped down version of OS X that only has a couple features (maybe just TextEdit and iTunes, no gestures or expose etc.) for people like your dad.

24. branjosef macrumors 6502a

branjosef

I bet when they are all lined up..."they be some nice Ta-Ta's" :eek:

25. whitemacbook macrumors member

whitemacbook

I heard from a guy in my class that Cadillac are re-introducing massive tail fins on next years models.Can't wait!