Hearing myself when on a call, 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AaronHeth, Oct 17, 2011.

1. AaronHeth macrumors member

Hi guys,

Got my 4S on Friday, upgraded from a 3GS, and I've noticed when on a call I can hear myself as I speak. Not sure what this is, is anyone else experiencing it? I'm wondering if it is a software issue or a hardware one and I need to exchange? :/

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I noticed this on my 4, not 4S. Seems only to affect me when I call a certain person, so I think it's their end.

3. AaronHeth thread starter macrumors member

So far it's happened with two people, one with a 4 on Verizon and another also with a 4S on AT&T, so I think it's actually me.

4. Hatshepsut macrumors newbie

This has been happening to me, too. Are you having problems w/ the earphones, phone earpiece, or both? I've only been using earphones so far.

5. AaronHeth thread starter macrumors member

I haven't tried any headphones, just the normal ear speaker.

I tried my girlfriend's new 4S and hear it there too. Maybe this was some hardware change in the 4/4S from the 3gs that I just need to get use to?

6. Hatshepsut macrumors newbie

Odd. I just tried w/o the earphones w/ no problem. Still heard it w/ a different pair of earphones, though.

7. BiggAW macrumors 68020

Yeah, it's more Verizon/ Landline-esque. I like it a lot, it helps to stop me from yelling into the phone.

EDIT: I'm on the iPhone's home turf, so anything Verizon-esque is rather foreign to me.

8. AaronHeth thread starter macrumors member

So has anyone figured out if this is just something normal in perhaps the 4/4S? It seems like some people don't notice it but have it on their phone.

I can't tell if I've just run into a couple of phones exhibiting the behavior, or if it's a normal thing and just different from the 3GS, and I personally happen to notice it more than most people?

9. ziyonim58 macrumors newbie

10. BiggAW macrumors 68020

My guess is that Verizon requires it because it makes the phone sound better to the end user, and closes the feedback loop. Thus, I on AT&T got a Verizon-customized phone. Works for me... Because they made one model of the 4S, the Verizon mandates made it into the AT&T and Sprint models... at least that's my take on it.