Hearing Protection

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by velocityg4, Aug 26, 2014.

1. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I was just wondering if anyone can recommend some good over the ear headphones that also provide hearing protection. I see that 3M makes some. I was more interested in ones that weren't also AM/FM radios and likely junk in sound quality. Perhaps Sennheiser makes some.

I've tried using in ear headphones with the hearing protection placed over but they just get partially knocked out so a lot of sound quality is lost.

What would be ideal is if they also offered electronic hearing. So even with the environment muffled and music playing. If someone is trying to speak to me I can hear what they say. Assuming there isn't a bunch of background noise.

2. an-other macrumors regular

Price range?

Massive fan of Westone Products. I use custom moulded ES2 headphones. Not cheap, but not obscene either.

You'll pull the cords out of the earpieces before the earpieces will come out of your ears. For the record, I've never had that happen.

Westones are extremely popular with musicians for live playing. They're often referred to as "ear monitors" as opposed to "headphones." Modified versions are used in jet fighters and auto racing.

I've had mine for years. I've sent them back for cleaning a few times, and a wear fix. The company was a treat to work with.

Westone products and service have my highest recommendation.

3. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

There's a variety of stuff like this on the sport shooting market. Here's an info link. The military grade stuff at the bottom would have the best sound. biggest price tag, too.

Electronic Shooting Headsets

Dale

4. velocityg4 thread starter macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Great these gave me some ideas and the key word I was missing for my search "isolation". Now to decide between in ear and over ear. Likely over ear since in ear always just seemed like a recipe for infection to me.

And Sennheiser does appear to make isolating headphones. The Sennheiser HD-280 Pro offers 32 db attenuation. Unfortunately not the electronic hearing. Although music and isolation is more important for me.