Hearing rumors about an Apple Office Suite to replace iWorks

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jms969, Dec 9, 2010.

1. jms969, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

jms969 macrumors 6502

Is anyone else hearing this or have more details???

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

FFS no. Apple is not killing their own ****ing suite to replace it with exactly the same thing anytime soon.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

There have been no rumors about it. Sure it's possible that Apple will rename iWork but I doubt it

4. jms969 thread starter macrumors 6502

If Apple wants to become more relevant in the enterprise this would be a basic requirement.

The rumor did not suggest that they are killing iWorks, it suggested a major upgrade to iWorks to become a MS Office compatible suite with supposedly a credible contact/task/calender/mail/etc. manager...

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Why kill iWorks when you can just simply improve it? :confused:

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

OP, where are you hearing these rumors of which you speak?

7. jms969 thread starter macrumors 6502

Heard some banter at the local Apple Store, then it was surfaced on the OFM 2011 forum on Facebook...

It may be total BS, but it is intriguing none the less

8. jms969 thread starter macrumors 6502

That may be what is scheduled to happen. However, I am not sure that iWorks' core can be improved to a point where it is enterprise capable.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I am not sure Apple is looking to become "more relevant in the enterprise" as you suggest. Apple is far more consumer oriented, and there is too much $$$ to be made without chasing Office.

10. jms969 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't disagree at all, I am just hearing this from a couple of sources so I thought I would surface it here to see if anyone else has heard it.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Our country is doomed.

12. jms969 thread starter macrumors 6502

hahahaha That you can rest assured of...

13. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

People at the Apple store probably won't have any more information than you and me. i reckon its highly unlikely.

14. jms969 thread starter macrumors 6502

hahahahah very true...

I would love for it to be true, we have tried a Macbook Pro and iphone combo in a business setting and it has been less than stellar. I really don't want to go back to Windows/Office/Blackberry combo but it looks like we are going to have to :(

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What are you unable to do?

16. al2o3cr macrumors regular

I'm sure if they really wanted to Apple could change the UI every couple years at random, make the suite require MOAR POWAH every upgrade, break the formatting of old documents and randomly corrupt files for no good reason. Heck, they could probably even add in some gaping security holes, since we all know that a word processing document MUST have the ability to pwnz0r a system upon opening.

I'm not sure, however, who would want to buy such a thing. There's not exactly a huge number of people with millions of ancient Pages documents that can't switch to anybody else... ;)

17. jms969, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010

jms969 thread starter macrumors 6502

Things as simple as task management. To do's in ical will not sync with google calendar at all or with the iphone/ipad without 3rd party apps.

OFM 2011 Outlook only syncs with address book unless you use Exchange 2007 or later.

No good alternatives (file compatible) for Access, Onenote, Visio, Publisher, etc...
    Acceptable alternative for project, none are 100% file compatible

Plus many more, so I think we are going to have to abandon the test and go back to Windows/Office/Blackberry :(

I am going to try to make it work, but I am not optimistic...

18. iDisk macrumors 6502a

iDisk

Nonsense

An awesome update to iWork is coming early 2011. Don't listen to everything you read or hear. iWork for iPad is going to get even better next year.

Apple doesn't tell it's retail employees anything you probably wouldn't read on this site. In cupertino we view the retail employees as not real Apple employees. (Since the real work is done at 1 Infinite Loop ) and not at our stores.

Bruce

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We, huh? :rolleyes: