Heart detection rate

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by sozi81, May 24, 2015.

1. sozi81 macrumors newbie

Hello everybody,
    I am a cardiologist and I would to help some of my patients.
    My aim is to create an app in order to detect the heart rate, exactly "bursts" of heart rate that can mask some disorder of the cardiac rhythm.

Do you know how can I succeed in this?

I understand that Apple Watch is able to detect just the pulse ..but not the ECG.:roll eyes:

2. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors regular

Not possible right now:
    • Apps can't access live heart rate info.
    • Outside of workout mode, heart rate only sampled every 10 mins.
    • Heart rate monitor is rather inaccurate. (for me)

3. kingc0bra macrumors regular

kingc0bra

This is exactly why I got the apple watch, in hopes that they would have an app for this...Let me know if you do find one!

If not, someone needs to make one asap

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I'll let you know right now. :D No 3ed party has access to any sensors, so it can't be made. Hopefully the next SDK will allow sensor access, but until then it is impossible.

5. Goalieed macrumors member

6. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

It can be done, thinking outside of the box ;) ... Workout mode will capture a continuous heart rate... Build a Heart Fitness app, have the app monitor heart rate every 10mins and if it starts to detect a (doctor or user) preset irregularly then activate continuous heart rate monitor... and send data (email) to physician / Ping the user to (do a task take a pill, etc). Everything required to create an app like the is present. It's a matter of how to approach developing it in a creative and usable way.

You don't want a continuous monitoring from the start, because that's a battery drain. So you set faults that will trigger that type of monitoring and sent out alerts based on rate levels. As for the ECG, I'm not in the medical field but as an (outside of the box) developer I would research and speak to cardiologist to see if there is a familiar that can convert heart rate pulse into ECG. The way the watch captures the HR is based on the pulse in the blood, Research Kit might have a way to see that raw data.

App building takes time and can be costly but with the right developer(s) this shouldn't be too difficult to develop.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

You do not have access to the sensor to do this. The only way is to allow the :apple:Watch to read HR at it's about every 10 minute interval (1.01 is far less for most people) then wait on it to be sent to Health App on the iPhone. Your App could then be allowed to read the data from the iPhone's Health App. This could put your most current HR readings well over an hour behind real time.