Heart emoji shows up small & black

mpavilion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
A month or so back, the ❤ emoji on my phone started showing up like this whenever I select it: ♥.

The symbol in the emoji menu is still big and red; but when I trigger it (add to text), it appears black and smallish. The reason I was able to type the regular red heart above is because I'm on my iPad. It won't work on my iPhone.

Now here's the kicker: I happened to switch to a new phone last week, and it's still happening on the new phone! (I restored iCloud backup from my previous phone.) Do I have to wipe / set up as new just to fix this weird little problem, lol?

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I have this issue on my Mac. On my iPhone it appears normal. No idea what caused it.

mpavilion

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
Guess what? I just fixed it: ❤ (typing from my phone)

I realized that the heart emoji in my "Frequently Used" section (which is where I always trigger it from) didn't even quite look like the "real" emoji... it's red, but sort of darker and shaded, without the white highlights at the top. So I found the "real" emoji deep in the menu itself, and it worked like always. Now both versions show up in my Recents section.

Then I dug deeper and found how the "Heart of Darkness" got there in the first place... it's a different emoji, from deeper in the Symbols section – the group with the playing-card suits (see pic).

Attachments

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Guess what? I just fixed it: ❤ (typing from my phone)

I realized that the heart emoji in my "Frequently Used" section (which is where I always trigger it from) didn't even quite look like the "real" emoji... it's red, but sort of darker and shaded, without the white highlights at the top. So I found the "real" emoji deep in the menu itself, and it worked like always. Now both versions show up in my Recents section.

Then I dug deeper and found how the "Heart of Darkness" got there in the first place... it's a different emoji, from deeper in the Symbols section – the group with the playing-card suits (see pic).
One of them's a 'Card Heart' and the other's just a 'Heart'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.