Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
proven

I use that app now and it is scary accurate, I used it just after taking my normal HR with a certified medical device and it was off by only 1 bpm. Your finger has a pulse and that is how it works. Pretty awesome actually!
yeah, it's a pretty proven technology at this point, using light and the camera.

Argentine86

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2011
VIDEO: Another Frustrating Workout...

Another test at the gym with some frustration. Started off on the treadmill again and the heart rate sensor worked great compared to the treadmill's sensor (updates every few seconds quickly). But then moving on to the weights, the heart rate sensor is unresponsive!

I'll check on it after a set, and it reads very low (60-65bpm) and then tries to get a new measurement and gets stuck measuring.

I attached a video of what this is like. After I left the gym, the reading seem ok again. Can it be the higher temp of my skin working out? Or the very slight sweat/moisture on skin?....Frustrating...I tried two different workout settings too...

http://vid9.photobucket.com/albums/a95/1cebox/1EB8FF73-27D7-470B-929D-6172ACB4CA9A_zpskjrp8fjz.mp4

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
yes

yeah, I've seem similar to that. The HR takes a LONG time to sample and for that tasks it's really not UP TO the task. Many other watches use the light sensor for testing HR (currently the next best thing to an EKG) and they do it much more quickly and accurately and in real-time.

I know the apple watch is trying to conserve what limited battery life it has, but for specific tasks like this WHEN you want/need them it's falling a bit short.

I'm not sure if they can easily tweak the algorithm or offer more options for users, might be too complicated for the average user - which is the last thing they need.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
at times it was close to my polar.... but others it was way off

calories burned was way off compared to my polar...

ssimonvii

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2012
I finally got my SS 42mm and I was pretty disappointed about the HR monitor to say the least. Compared it to a polar chest strap and Mio watch. The Apple watch eventually seemed to sync up, but with weight lifting, it is terrible/behind tracking spikes, and often spends time searching for the HR. On the elliptical, it took about 5 minutes to sync up which was frustrating.

I've had a Microsoft band since that launched, and found that the apple watch is slightly better when it comes to weight lifting and elliptical. I'm about to run outside, so hopefully those results are better. While I'm disappointed apple couldn't crack the code, like the Microsoft band, I will be happy to have HR monitored integrated into my daily wear. If Apple thought it was super accurate, I'm not sure why they would offer to pair the watch with chest straps :). They are getting an f load of data as we speak....hopefully they adjust it with software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.