Heart rate complication fail

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Benz63amg, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

So the official heart rate complication in watchOS 3 from Apple does not show any numbers next to the heart icon and I wonder why they decided not to include an actual number reading into the complication that shows your last heart rate reading at a glance, I mean the heart rate complication is sort of useless in its current form

2. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I use cardiogram myself. Not sure if you're looking for something better but I thought I'd mention it. In not really sure the data really matters there either. It's just a reading every ten minutes, I believe. Unsure if that does me any good lol.

3. Mac Addict macrumors member

Mac Addict

You're right, it's acts more like a quick launch icon

4. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Yep, totally useless. Garmin's HR complication shows HR. Fitbit shows HR. What was Apple thinking???

5. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

S
    Seriously. Doesn't make any sense. The third party HeartWatch app actually shows a nice icon in their complication with a number of the last recorded heartrate recorded next to the icon but it requires having background app refresh enabled which I don't like for battery saving purposes, the stock Apple heart complication on the other hand would not require background app refresh just like the stock weather complication works beautifully and updates information on the Watch face even when I have background app refresh entirely disabled on my iPhone.

I'm still using the HeartWatch complication on my Apple Watch SS 42mm Series 2 instead of the stock apple heart rate complication because at least it displays the last heart rate reading in the complication and even though it doesn't update automatically because I have background app refresh , a simple tap on the complication to open the HearWatch App and then existing out by clicking the Digital Crown manually updates the number on the complication to the latest heartrate reading

6. recoil80 macrumors 68000

Yeah it is a shortcut to launch the app. It should at least change its color to let you know if the heart rate is low, medium or high

7. FrisbeeK9 macrumors 6502a

FrisbeeK9

That's a great idea.

8. protobiont macrumors 6502a

Frustratingly, even with background app refresh turned on, the complications for both heartwatch and cardiogram are very inconsistent about when they refresh. They certainly do not refresh every 15 minutes as their documentation suggests. I hope this gets resolved.

9. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Absolutely agree

10. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

It's like Apple built this really awesome fitness and activity technology platform, but stopped the software work just before they got it done. Everything seems to fall a little bit short compared to the market.

11. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

They really need to step it up softwar wise because hardware wise the Apple Watch series 2 is definitely capable of much more than it currently offfers

12. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Hard to under stand when devices as cheap as a FitBit Charge 2 maintains your HR the whole time you wear it. Wondering if battery capacity is that bad they can not have the green lights stay on all the time.

13. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Thats great that the fitbit constantly measures heart rate at all times but it doesn't have the beautiful high res OLED display of the apple watch that takes a great amount of battery to run so thats not a fair comparison, speaking of battery life, the apple watch series 2 has lasted me 2 and a half days so far on a single charge until i had to connect it back to the charger which is just incredible, on the Gen 0 apple watch i had i would get a day and a half till i had to charge the watch tops. So battery life is greatly improved in the series 2.

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

If battery life is so good, and I have a series 2, why did Apple choose to only do the BP intermittently?

I understand the difference in the FitBit/Garmin and the Apple watch all too well. The Apple watch is a "casual" fitnerss device while the FitBit/Garmins are dedicated devices. Apple sounds like they will step up in the future and push the fitness/health stuff but at the same time so will it's competitors.

15. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

All Apple thinking is about making good money

16. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Agree to disagree. Apple makes some of the best products in the world as far as quality is concerned, Its just that WatchOS has potential for much more than it currently offers.

17. RWil85 macrumors 6502a

just to clear this up..

read in documentation somewhere that even if background refresh is turned off - when using a complication, that app will refresh in the background regardless of the state of your settings.

it cannot just get that information using 'magic'.

18. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Not true, the heartwatch complication doesn't refresh data for me automatically on the Watch face and I'm pretty sure it's because I have background app refresh disabled