Heart Rate Complication

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by jhagg, Oct 8, 2015.

1. jhagg macrumors member

jhagg

New Apple Watch owner here, SS42MM Black Leather.

I bought it due to some heart complications and love the heart rate sensor.

Any developers out there that can create an app the will provide a heart rate complication I am game to purchase.

Thanks!

2. CobraPA macrumors 6502

Complications are currently limited to updates at about 30 minute intervals. Maybe Apple will add something like this, but it doesn't seem to be possible for standard apps.

3. mchlwise macrumors member

mchlwise

REALLY?!?

There go my hopes for a real-time step-counter complication. :(

4. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

Please elaborate. The bring! Complication updates instantly as you update the list. Maybe it's limited to certain applications?

5. CobraPA macrumors 6502

Complications in the background are limited in how fast they can update... If you run the app for a complication, it can update any time you run it manually.

6. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Having the heart rate sensor on drains the battery like crazy. You'd get about 2 hours of battery life with a real time heart rate complication.

7. jhagg thread starter macrumors member

jhagg

It doesn't need to be real time, show the last reading from 30 mins ago etc. When I glance at the watch I can get a reasonable idea of the last reading etc.

8. MSampson macrumors member

I'd be interested in something like this too. My husband is in the hospital right now and will be getting a defibrillator implanted. The doctor told him that if it triggers because of tachycardia he will feel the jolt as it shocks him to a normal rhythm. He unfortunately got the paddles the other day and said it's a huge jolt. The doctor said he would have no warning if the implant needed to shock him and I worry that he would be driving or something. I have an Apple Watch and showed my husband how the heart rate function works. I think I'd like him to get the Apple Watch 2 but I wonder if there is an app than could alert him with a tap on the wrist if his pulse rate goes over about 170 or so. That way he can start actively monitoring his heart and may get warning before a jolt occurs.

9. fizz7283 macrumors 6502a

I would also be interested in this.

Even if it's just a little heart with the last heart rate reading the watch takes. When you tap it, it could open an app and immediately start another heart rate reading.

I love the heart rate monitoring of the watch, it's the main reason I got the watch. Unfortunately opening the glances is sooo slow for me no matter how few glances I have set up on my watch.

I really wish a developer could develop an app/complication like this. Just an app that looks like the standard heart rate monitoring and still writes to the health app.

It's crazy a lot of people complain about apps opening slowly on the watch, but I have a bigger problem with glances lagging badly.

10. CobraPA macrumors 6502

Interesting idea... Might be possible. Heart rate might be 20 minutes or more old on the complication though. Would that still be useful?

11. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Well, not really true but in general, the point is clear. When I do a workout using the workout app, the heart rate sensor is on the entire time. I burn about 10% of the battery during the hour consistently. So, in theory, you should get many hours. Still not useful.

I would like to see an app with a complication that was providing an average heart rate over the last hour and last xx hours. Like 65/70.

If you don't move, you will get a reading that is logged in the health data. Would be easy to calculate timeframes.

12. akosnitzky macrumors member

akosnitzky

Checkout HealthDash and StepCard

13. fizz7283 macrumors 6502a

I would think it's useful still. If I question the accuracy of it, say I feel it's higher than what the complication is stating, then I can always press the complication and it can load the app to start a new reading..... This is how I imagine it to behave ideally of course.