Heart Rate losing lock during activity?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BrianNH, Apr 24, 2015.

1. BrianNH macrumors member

I went for a run with my 42 SS ML today and at first the HR seemed responsive and about where I would expect it. After about 5 minutes, the hr colors turned grey, the heart stopped beating and the numbers stopped changing. It remained this way for a while and then several minutes later it showed another really low locked reading. Eventually it sorta worked again. I tried adjusting the watch on my wrist, even tightening it more than it already was and nothing. This seems more like a software glitch imo. Anyone else see this?

2. NAYo2002 macrumors 6502

I think it's intentially only samples HR randomly to save battery life.

3. BrianNH thread starter macrumors member

It samples every 10 minutes normally, but I was pretty sure when using the workout app, it samples continuously using the green lights (I could see they were on the whole time)

4. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

Just did a 1 hour boot camp workout which i normally burn 850+ calories in an hour and the Apple watch said that I only burnt 499. Almost every time I looked the watch couldn't find my heart rate.

I was wearing it two fingers above the wrist bone and it still kept losing heart rate. Very disappointed so far.

5. NAYo2002 macrumors 6502

How do you know the 850+ Is correct?

6. noah82 macrumors 6502a

noah82

I had previously used a Mio Alpha and Fitbit Surge before getting the Apple watch and both were consistent.

7. Marshall73 macrumors 6502a

Marshall73

I had the same when using my rowing machine. I tightened the strap 1 notch and after that it was ok for the rest of the workout.