Heart Rate: Max, Min, Average

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by anez, May 31, 2015.

1. anez, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015

anez macrumors 6502

anez

I'm curious to see what kind of results people are getting on their HR monitoring. I know the new update has caused some annoyance (I'm part of the crowd that preferred the way it was originally), but I think you can still get decent readings on your Max (when using Workout) and Min (when your arm is still, like the rest of you) HR.

Max: 179
    Min: 39

That seems about right, as my daily charts come quite close in terms of highs and lows.

I'm also curious if people have noticed a difference in their daily highs/lows with 1.01 versus 1.0. I haven't, or at least not enough to be noticeable.

What're everyone else's readings like?

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Minimum 49, maximum 142

I'm not sure how to find out the average, but the 49 was an aberration by about 10 bpm. I'd say my average is probably in the high 80s due to the workout thing you mentioned above. It seems to measure every five seconds during a workout and lord knows how often otherwise.

3. anez thread starter macrumors 6502

anez

...I was going to say the Average was in the top right corner, but then I realized that was actually the most recent entry. D'oh!

You're right, actually; there is no clear way to find Average that I can see so I'm going to try to edit my initial post to reflect that. Thanks!

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Maximum HR is directly related to you age. It goes down about 10 BPM per decade. Also the difference between your resting HR and you maximal HR is called HR reserve.

5. zapp macrumors regular

zapp

6. dabigkahuna Suspended

dabigkahuna

I've read that typical maximums are 220-age. So I'm 66 which would mean I should have a max of 154. My actual numbers, based on the watch, are:

Minimum 42 (taken while sleeping with the "Other" activity running

Maximum 169 (making a maximum effort going uphill on a bicycle)

When I make HR tests during the day with the watch or any other device, but when resting, it is usually in the 50's.

7. EdisEdward macrumors 6502

I'm 25 and have average rate of maybe 65 or so. Isn't a lower resting heart rate better? Also, where can i check the log of all my heart rates? I just see it on glances.

8. dabigkahuna Suspended

dabigkahuna

Yes, generally lower is better though I supposed it is possible to have a problem which makes it too low. Before I resumed cycling, my resting rate was generally in the mid to upper 70s so I've improved quite a bit.

To see your HR record, open the Health app on the phone and find the vital statistics. Every sample the watch took should be there. Generally 12/minute during an activity. Used to be every 10 minutes otherwise (plus any time you used the glance on the watch to get a new HR). Of course, with the new OS version, it doesn't do it every 10 minutes dependably anymore.

9. stringbeanie macrumors 6502

Max for the month 206 (typically around 180-190 while running)
    Min 37
    Average 60

I'm 53