Heart Rate measurements whilst running

kitenski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
My wife has a series 3 and we've been looking at the heart rates whilst she runs. It doesn't seem right, but I have nothing to compare against!

I've attached 3 screenshots of what see sees after a run in the workout app on her phone.

We've tried doing a full reset of the watch but we still see gaps in the HR reading and also sometimes this error message as shown in the screenshots. From what I read I thought the AW should take continuous HR readings whilst running?

I assume this isn't correct? She does wear the watch tighter when she runs.

Any suggestions on how to improve this?

IMG_0393.jpg IMG_0394.jpg IMG_0395.jpg

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Wear tighter or better yet get a BT strap.
I would agree to tighten the strap.

Regarding the BT HR sensor. If the VO2max reading is important for you, a BT HR sensor may not be the answer. At least with my Polar H7, I can't get a VO2max reading when I use the Polar.

CaptMarvel

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
North Carolina
I’d also suggest tightening the strap. You can also setup your workout watch face to multiple metric and add the heart rate to have it constantly shown at a glance if you suspect it’s only grabbing information periodically.

Kermit262

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
Central Ohio
This happens to me often, and there are threads here were others have reported the same. I've tried the proposed solutions but they don't seem to work (I say "seem" because the problem is intermittent, at least for me). When I do my serious training I break out my Garmin and use it's HR feature.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
This happens to my Apple Watch series 3 as well. Sometimes, it takes a few minutes before the watch successfully record a heart rate as you seen in picture 1 and 2. For a very short run or walk, the watch may not actually capture a heart rate and thus the situation in picture 3 occurs.

I think this is usually caused by movement of the watch during the run or walk. When you sweat, the watch moves a bit easier. What I found to be helpful is to 1) tighten the band; and 2) move the watch a bit higher (further from the wrist) so that hands movements interfere less with the position of the watch. You can also open the heart rate app before the run to make sure it is able to record heart rate. That could help eliminate situations shown in picture 3.

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
My usual advice (for men) with any wrist based optical heart rate is 1) shave a patch, 2)tighten one notch and 3) wear a sweat band above the watch. These are the only ways to improve readings from an area that is by evolution or creation about the worst place you can put an optical reader. My AW3 did okay, but my AW4 is way better.

I use and recommend the Scosche Rhythm plus or 24 (have both). Either pairs easily and captures HR as accurate as a Polar chest strap in my testing.

Good luck.

coldwaves

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2011
My usual advice (for men) with any wrist based optical heart rate is 1) shave a patch, 2)tighten one notch and 3) wear a sweat band above the watch. These are the only ways to improve readings from an area that is by evolution or creation about the worst place you can put an optical reader. My AW3 did okay, but my AW4 is way better.

I use and recommend the Scosche Rhythm plus or 24 (have both). Either pairs easily and captures HR as accurate as a Polar chest strap in my testing.

Good luck.
Having a sweat band above the watch sounds like an excellent idea!