heart rate measuring issues

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Mathams, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Mathams macrumors newbie

Mathams

Hello everyone,

when i run with the AW2 while very tight around wrist but not uncomfortable and ensuring holding my hand still, it measures my heart rate up to 165 bpm and barely able to go higher despite I push myself HRmax in 20-30 bpm higher which my Garmin XT910 records with no problems.

Is this a common error? Is this a product fault? thougths?

Much appreciated,
    M

2. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

You are lucky as sometimes when running my watch will show nothing or some stupid number like 42 bpm.

I gave up on depending on my aw for hr.

Apple needs to look at garmin' sensor tech as my garmins work way better.

3. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

The AW heart rate sensor works pretty good for me. I can get it to record my peak HR. I had such trouble with trying to record HR using the Polar BT HR strap, that I've gone exclusively with the built in HR sensor.

I have data comparing the two on the same run. The AW is typically within 3 to 4 beats/min of the Polar HR strap. The Polar does record so much more frequently, though. It's a deluge of HR readings in the Health app. That's a bonus of going strictly with the built in sensor.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Both devices create a lot of data in the Health App.

5. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

For me, during exercise, the AW sensor takes 12 readings per minute. The polar hr strap takes 60 readings per minute.

Over a 45 minute run, that's over 2000 extra readings that is have to scroll through.

Other straps poll at more reasonable rates, or so I've read.

6. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

"Comfortable" or not, it won't be accurate if you run it "very tight." Loosen it a bit and try it again.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

If its too tight, it probably won't be accurate, even if comfortable. It should be just a little snug. The most accurate tightness for me is if I can barely slip my pinky finger between the band and my wrist.