Heart rate monitor question

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by tl01, May 16, 2015.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

I see lots of people mentioning low values...has anyone had any explained high values like 200 bpm? I have gotten two random measurements and the measurement before and after were normal. I think I would notice if my hr was 200 bpm right? Or do I need to call my doc now....

2. dabigkahuna Suspended

dabigkahuna

I don't get anything that far off - and usually things are fine. My negative experiences can be divided into two categories.

The first only happened once. I was cycling and pushing up a hill. HR was about 144. Then I backed off, though still going uphill and not as steep. After about 20 seconds of this, I checked the HR and it said 76 ! No way it could be that low. But after some seconds, I got more rational numbers. Just a one time error as all my other checks when exercising seem logical.

The other is when just doing a normal heart check. The watch checks every 10 minutes, but if I go to the glance for HR, it will first show the results of it's last check and tell you how long ago it was (1-10 minutes, I guess). It will then also start calculating your present HR.

Here's the thing. I know from many prior tests that if I'm sitting for awhile or lying down, my resting HR is almost certainly going to be in the 50's (sometimes upper 40's.

But quite a few times the HR it gives me for X minutes ago will be well above that - often in the 80's and once, when I woke up in the morning, it said 107 !!!

And then it calculates the present rate and will be back in the 50's again. It NEVER has given me a surprising number with the fresh calculation and when the earlier calculation doesn't seem correct, it is ALWAYS high.

Maybe, for the sake of research, others could check their figures themselves sometimes. Certainly easy enough to do, but the results will be more meaningful if they also know roughly what the numbers should be. And checking when rested would be easier to evaluate rather than after exerting yourself.

Might no be related to your issue, but maybe it is.

3. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

If my heart had felt funny I would have checked it but I didn't notice a thing. That's why I think it is weird.

It wasn't a re check. I only noticed when I saw it in the history from the every 10 minute check the watch does. On the other side of it were normal levels in the 80's while I was driving. I know I was driving at that time.

4. dabigkahuna Suspended

dabigkahuna

Well, my heart never feels "funny", but I do get those odd numbers.

I did find the record of my HR in the health app. Harder to look back and remember what the heck I may have been doing at a specific moment, but I did see some that were odd and one really strange one - over 140 at 2:00 AM! Wish I knew if this was just a bug in the software/hardware or something more serious.