Heart rate not measuring during workout

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by dtuck90, Aug 8, 2015.

1. dtuck90 macrumors regular

recently when I've set a workout the heart rate monitor does not seem to work so I have to pause the workout and resume it to manually get the heart rate monitor to start working. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

2. comics addict macrumors 6502a

Can you provide me with more specific and concrete example? Like what type of workout your trying to track? Can't quite figure out what it is that you're doing on your post. I have had no problem using either the built-in heart rate monitor on the watch and pairing it with a Bluetooth chest strap. Only issue I have encountered is that sometimes have to restart the watch before it will pair with the chest strap or doing strength training with the built-in sensor it misreads my heart rate by a considerable percentage but that is normal I'm told by the nature of both arm movement and constricting muscles.

3. stevenbeerbaum macrumors newbie

Yes its true, there are some issues with workouts like weightlifting and so on. It's better to have a chest strap in these cases.
    But also the normal workouts have some issues if your watch isn't fitting right. In my case for example there is a special position on my wrist to wear the watch to get the right heart-rate, otherwise I get results like 52,60, 70 BMP instead of the right 140 to 180 BMP.

4. dtuck90 thread starter macrumors regular

It is indoor cycle I am using. When I first had my watch it worked perfectly but over the past few weeks it has been every workout I've had to pause and resume the workout to get the monitor working. Otherwise it just gets stuck on "measuring". It's definitely not where I'm wearing it as once I get it working my heart rate matches the gyms bike for heart rate.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I have found that best and most dependable results for the HR sensor is to raise the watch about one inch above it normal positition and tighten it "slightly" more than you would normally wear it. Until I started doing this my HR sensor results were very unpredictable.

I hope Apple works on this as I also is a FitBit Surge and it will maintain your HR reading no mater how loose the device is on my wrist. The sensors are killer compared to Apple, not to mention the Fitbit app that goes with it. Having built in GPS is a big plus as it maps your run!

6. mostro900 macrumors member

I find the same issue. During a workout, my heart rate doesn't seem to be measured correctly(watch strap tightened). If I pause or stop my workout and take a manual measurement, it appears to be correct. I don't change the watch strap or anything - just seems to be specific to the work out app. Not sure why...