Heart Rate Reading Longer Than 10 Minutes Ago

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by opill, May 11, 2015.

1. opill macrumors newbie

Yesterday I noticed that my heart rate many times throughout the day was saying 15 minutes ago or 12 minutes ago or even 22 minutes ago. But it would have no trouble reading my heart rate. This morning, I turned the watch off and back on to try to reset it. The first few readings were 3 minutes ago, 7 minutes ago--all under 10 minutes. But I just checked it and the last reading was 15 minutes ago.

Apple Heart Rate page says that it takes your HR every ten minutes. Mine is securely on my wrist. I have just been sitting here working at the computer so I haven't done anything crazy this morning. I know it works because it will detect my heart rate when I open it in Glances and the rate seems accurate. Why is my AW not recording my HR every ten minutes?

2. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Heart Rate Reading Longer Than 10 Minutes Ago

I think it does attempt it every 10 minutes, but it doesn’t always succeed. If there’s too much movement or maybe the watch just isn’t quite in the right place it can fail. I imagine it doesn’t try too long because it doesn’t want to drain the battery too much, so if it doesn’t lock on right away it just waits for the next cycle.

You can look at the heart rate data in the health app on your phone (view all data) and look at the time stamps and see how often its able to get it every 10 minutes.

3. opill thread starter macrumors newbie

I've looked at my Health App data and the general trend is every 10 minutes. However, there are definitely gaps throughout the day that are as long as 40 minutes to an hour where there are no heart rate readings.

I asked my friend who has an AW to look at his data and he reports a similar pattern.

4. acctman macrumors 6502a

acctman

like stated already movement places a factors as well as what your last reading was. I you're stationary / setting and have a resting heart right of 60 and no change in movement or little ... then no need to keep checking a frequent. As a program I would code checks like that so its not draining your battery. Walking and Running will trigger a consented 10min check unless you turn it off in Workout app.