Heart rate sensor not working

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by docprego, May 10, 2015.

1. docprego, May 10, 2015
    Last edited: May 10, 2015

docprego macrumors 65816

Every time I look at the heart rate sensor glance it tells me my heart rate and reports that it was measured anywhere between 1 minute and an hour ago. It also proceeds to check my heart rate. It says "Measuring" for about 30 seconds and reports "Try Again" no matter how many times I try.

I remember this working the first few days I had my Watch. What's the deal? It seems like the sensor is working, but not on demand.

2. rhyme macrumors regular

rhyme

If it's reporting a value from more than 10 minutes ago, then it isn't working as it should be. Things to check:
    • Is the watch on snugly and flat against your wrist? Try moving it a little further up your arm if it isn't flat, and tightening the strap a little.
    • Are the sensors clean?
    • No tattoos on your arm?

3. alia macrumors 6502a

alia

Happened to me. Powering down and then rebooting fixed it.

4. J.gerbes macrumors 6502

5. opill macrumors newbie

I notice quite often that mine will say that the reading is from 14 minutes ago or 20 minutes ago. Other times it says 6 minutes ago. So not sure what the deal is. Seems a bit hit or miss.

6. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

I've tried several locations, even held it snug against my arm by pulling down on the strap behind my wrist.

Sensors are clean.

No tattoos.

Rebooted twice, problem persists.

Yes, twice.

Mine does the same so it is reading my pulse, just not when I actively ask it to.

7. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

I thought you're supposed to blow on it like a Nintendo cartridge to get it to work? :p

8. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Also many of the readings are from within the last 5 minutes, one was even 3 minutes ago today.

Also there is ALWAYS a reading when I look at the glance. The sensor has to be working.

9. dandrewk macrumors 6502

Run the workout app and see how quickly and often the heart rate updates.

10. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

This did the trick! I had the fitness and activity tracker disabled. For whatever reason the heart rate was measured right after I enabled this. Thanks!

11. dandrewk macrumors 6502

Good to hear. If you don't know already, using the workout app gives you much more frequent readings. It also activates the green light on the bottom of the watch, giving a faster and more accurate reading. The 10 minute readings use a passive system.

12. docprego thread starter macrumors 65816

Appreciate all the info and help. I'm just perplexed because in the Watch app on my iPhone I had heart rate monitoring enabled but fitness tracking off. Once I enabled fitness tracking the heart rate monitor glance worked perfectly every time.