Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PeytonT123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2018
US
My heart rate is not being completely recorded during some outdoor runs like it should be... anyone else has this issue/knows how to fix it?

In several of my runs lately, for Heart Rate data it says “chart not available”. I then go in Health and look at “show all data”...and there will be a large gap where no data was recorded (during a workout, the watch obviously is supposed to be recording it somewhat continuously). Sometimes it will start recording it, then just stop recording for 15-30 minutes, then start again. Sometimes it won’t record anything until 15 minutes into the run.

Does anyone know how to fix this? My watch is not in power save mode, neither is the workout app in power saving mode.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Did it always do this---?

You can clean sensor, make sure it is snug, reboot, re-pair---hope you get it sorted---

Probably other options I am not aware of----

john991

macrumors 68040
Sep 30, 2014
Great White North - aka Canada
My heart rate is not being completely recorded during some outdoor runs like it should be... anyone else has this issue/knows how to fix it?

In several of my runs lately, for Heart Rate data it says “chart not available”. I then go in Health and look at “show all data”...and there will be a large gap where no data was recorded (during a workout, the watch obviously is supposed to be recording it somewhat continuously). Sometimes it will start recording it, then just stop recording for 15-30 minutes, then start again. Sometimes it won’t record anything until 15 minutes into the run.

Does anyone know how to fix this? My watch is not in power save mode, neither is the workout app in power saving mode.

Try going to heart rate on the watch and see if it detects your HR.

I’ve had issues where the HR would start then stop during a run. I washed the bottom on the watch with water and that seemed to fix it for me.

iamasmith

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2015
Cheshire, UK

Yeah, I can't get any sort of continuous readings with the built in sensor when running so I use a Polar HR10 paired to the Apple watch and get my HR data that way. It also enables you to turn off the AW sensor and save power if you are on several hours of activity :)

The built in is good enough for me for lunch time walks.

simonlucas

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
London, UK
This. This is exactly why I’ve visited MacRumors today. I have a series 4 and it’s always recorded my heart rate with no difficulties when running until recently. Now it really struggles. It started soon after the most recent software update. Coincidence or not? I’ve cleaned the sensor but it made very little, if any difference. Next step I guess is to do a reset and try again.

Does anyone have any insight?

PeytonT123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2018
US
This. This is exactly why I’ve visited MacRumors today. I have a series 4 and it’s always recorded my heart rate with no difficulties when running until recently. Now it really struggles. It started soon after the most recent software update. Coincidence or not? I’ve cleaned the sensor but it made very little, if any difference. Next step I guess is to do a reset and try again.

Yeah I wonder if it has to do with the latest software update, if there's a bug?

I also had an error on a run from Saturday, it basically stopped recording the map a 1/4 of the way through it, in addition to not recording the heartrate properly. The map shows the route ending at a random spot only 1/4 of the way through the actual route I ran, about 2 miles....but the total run was 8 miles. It weirdly still has the distance and splits correct, but the MAP isn't. So when I try to export it to other apps like Strava, the splits are all messed up and it has them listed as 2 minute miles.

As far as HR goes, I even opened up Cardiogram on the run and set up the "Continuous recording", but it wasn't taking measurements at proper intervals. So my activity page has a "Chart Unavailable" under Heart Rate, and an incomplete map. I have no idea what the deal is....should I make a Genius Bar appointment and see if there's a defect in my watch?

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

Dont know the reason, but my watch does the same - i have to reboot it to get it working. If my watch is on several days the issue happens - no lights on sensors (when manually trying to to take measurements) and only way to get them work it is to turn the watch off and on.

This started after the latest update.

matrix07

Suspended
Jun 24, 2010

Is your strap tight?

PeytonT123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2018
US
Chatted with Apple Support today....the one thing I haven't tried is resetting the watch as new, so I'm doing that now. Let's see if it makes a difference.

Celestial Wolves

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2019
Belgium
I'm having similar issues. Brand-new (2 weeks) AW4.
Usually, HR values seem to be OK during the first kms, but then I'm getting huge gaps or extremely high HR values (170-190) even when I'm running at moderate pace.
I'm quite happy about the GPS accuracy, which is at least compatible with my previous watch (Garmin FR 220). But it would be nice if I could have similar performance for HR.

Last edited:

PeytonT123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2018
US
Tried restoring it as new and still was having the issue. I'd start a run, and the heart rate wouldn't be measured at all for like 10 minutes.

Brought it to the Apple store today, they're shipping it off to be repaired...hopefully they can do something.

MJ22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2017
Mine does this more when I’m really sweaty. I try to wipe off the bottom of my watch where the sensor is after every run or at least a few times a week. It’s generally pretty good at recording; I don’t get upset that it doesn’t perfectly record every single time. It’s an electronic device. It’s not perfect and I don’t expect it to be.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Celestial Wolves

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2019
Belgium
I'm having similar issues. Brand-new (2 weeks) AW4.
Usually, HR values seem to be OK during the first kms, but then I'm getting huge gaps or extremely high HR values (170-190) even when I'm running at moderate pace.
I'm quite happy about the GPS accuracy, which is at least compatible with my previous watch (Garmin FR 220). But it would be nice if I could have similar performance for HR.

Weird (or maybe not?): since about a week, I started wearing my AW on the right (I am left-handed), which feels quite strange; don't ask me why but now I’m getting much more consistent HR values. Both when running at moderate paces or when doing intervals or race.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Weird (or maybe not?): since about a week, I started wearing my AW on the right (I am left-handed), which feels quite strange; don't ask me why but now I’m getting much more consistent HR values. Both when running at moderate paces or when doing intervals or race.
Could be because the AW on the right wrist is tighter/looser due to wrist size differences.

PeytonT123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2018
US
Update: they couldn't replicate the issue and sent it back as is. I did notice it seemed to be working more regularly once I got it back, but on my last run it wasn't working (didn't give me a heartrate reading until 12 minutes into the run). Maybe it does have to do with sweat? I'm not sure.

Celestial Wolves

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2019
Belgium
Could be because the AW on the right wrist is tighter/looser due to wrist size differences.
I'm using the black sport loop, so there's no reason I guess why the AW would be tighter or looser on one of the wrists? Actually I'm suspecting that it may have to do with the exact location of the veins on my wrists: in my case, I see differences between left and right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.