Heat and battery usage, how much is too much?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dblissmn, Jun 10, 2008.

1. dblissmn macrumors regular

I have a new MBP and am having significant problems with it. Basically, it runs hot -- so much for the Penryns running cool, at least for me -- and it runs down the battery fast. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be most appreciated as Apple doesn't seem to think these numbers warrant repair. I can still eat the restocking fee for another couple days.

On three calibrations, 11 cycles, here is where I am at.

Temperatures, under light web use, AC power, Ethernet, no wireless, charge completed: (Fahrenheit conversion in parentheses)
    CPU-A 51 (124)
    GPU Diode 52 (126)
    GPU Heatsink 50 (122)
    Heatsink A 51 (124)
    Heatsink B 42 (108)
    Encl. Base 37 (99)
    Mem Ctrlr 43 (109)
    Airport Card 37 (99)
    HD 40 (104)

And as for battery life, web use and mail gets me 3:20 - 3:25 or so. So much for "five hours of wireless productivity".

If I use Airport, the wireless card goes up to 56-57 (around the 133-135F mark) degrees Celsius, and the memory controller to about 53-54 (about 130), and the left side of the computer gets unpleasantly hot. No major changes to the other sensors though.

Most disturbing of all is that this is a replacement for another computer that had a display backlight defect. But that other computer delivered well over four hours of battery life, and ran much cooler.

The above temperatures are with an ambient room temperature of 25 degrees celsius (77F)

The only of those temperatures that seem normal to me are the graphics card and the hard drive. Everything else seems too hot. However, Apple telephone support, while acknowledging that the numbers seem "on the high end" for the temperature and "low" for battery life, don't seem to think they are out of specification, and suggested that a mail-in repair might well result in the computer coming back "no problems found." That is what I found with my hardware test at any rate.

EDIT: Airport seems to heat up less on 2.4GHz than on 5GHz -- more like about 45C (114F)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your temps appear to be fine... very close to mine and to others I've seen posted in many threads.

3. omueller macrumors newbie

I agree with ggjstudios. Your temps do appear to be fine. Mine are actually 10 - 20 degrees Fahrenheit higher than yours in every category.

4. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

well i wanted to check my temps using istat menubar, while on battery, and i saw this...
    [​IMG]

battery temp, wow. Ive never seen that before!

these are battery temps, with fan @ 3000 RPM. mine are about the same as OP on AC

5. dblissmn thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting. A lot of low numbers but one hot graphics chip. Beginning to chalk this up to minor variances in manufacturing?

6. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

gfx chip in mine is usually right around cpu temps, from 50-75c.

I contribute this to them sharing the same heat pipe and heat transfer.

46c is the coolest ive ever seen the gfx

7. ddoonie macrumors regular

So this temp range would be normal in your eyes? I just bought my MBP and its considerably hotter than my iBook!

Attached Files:

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your temps look quite normal. During a simple export/resize in iPhoto of about 7,000 photos, my GPU reached 80, CPU 79. Nothing to worry about.

9. ddoonie macrumors regular

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The battery life according to Apple is almost always way off, but it's still very good none-the-less.

That's idle? If it is, and you don't live in a sauna or the Sahara, that's hot.

11. ddoonie macrumors regular

Haha, quick update. Check your activity monitor, set to all processes!!!! I had an app i deleted a while back (appcleaner), leave its daemon on my computer. My CPU was being taxed! It waas at around 80% activity. Deleted it, and now i'm idling around 50 Celsius. pfeww!

12. GaryKessler macrumors newbie

They all run hot.

My g4 Titanium Powerbook and my new MacBookPro run alarmingly hot. Sometimes so hot that I wouldn't want to use it on my lap. For what it's worth, my previous Sony Vaio laptop ran so hot that parts of the cabinet started to warp.

Those battery times are about what I get and my MBP battery is pretty new. You CAN extend the battery life if you turn off Airport and/or bluetooth if you're not using them, ie if you use an ethernet connection and don't need the BT.

13. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Everyone in this thread needs to download SMCFanControl.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No I don't; just checked temps:

[​IMG]

15. 31 YNOT macrumors newbie

Ok, I just down loaded this and changed my fan speeds to 3000 rpm to see if i could tell a change, clicked saved typed in my password an my fans still arent running above 1005 rpm. Any ideas :confused:

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Um..... maybe uninstall SMCFanControl? I'd look to AppleCare first before giving control of my Mac to any 3rd party software, written by people who don't know the inner workings of the Mac as well as Apple does.

17. 31 YNOT macrumors newbie

I dont have apple care, so I dont get any help there

18. ddoonie macrumors regular

19. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

You weren't complaining about your temps.