Heat and wifi in new MB (Alumunim)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nph, Nov 9, 2008.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

How would you rate the heat and the wifi reception in your new Alumunim MB?
    Escpecially vs the older MBP generation that was hot and had bad wifi reception.

Thanks

2. DukeOliver macrumors member

My wifi in my dorm room is excellent, granted my airport is a few feet from my macbook. There's no difference in speed between wifi and just using the cable, they're both fast. It hasn't come close to over heating on me, even during gaming. Granted i'm playing older games like ut2k4 on highest settings, and a little Planetside, I only hear the fan kick in for a little bit but once I close the program it instantly gets cooler. Going to try UT3 tonight and see what happens.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The Airport cards have been warm in general. Turn it off and see how much the temperature drops!

4. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

So wifi doesn't drop or go up and down as my current first gen MBP?

With heat I mean can you use it in your lap without a stand?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It gets hot with high CPU usage. Not to mention Apple set the fans to only throttle up over ~200° F.

6. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

Mine runs much cooler than my 12" Powerbook G4. In fact i have never felt it get hot and i use it all the time. The wireless reception is better than the old MBP but not quite as good as the old MB. I would rate it good/excellent. I have 78% reception right now and at about 150 feet from the airport extreme base station though 5 walls.

7. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

8. impasto macrumors newbie

impasto

The wifi on my new mb runs the same as my old mbp and doesn't get NEARLY as hot as my old mbp. i have been on and off all day and its just warm to the touch.

9. jade macrumors 6502

It does get toasty if you use it on your bed (or lap) over 15-30 minutes. Internal temps ~160. Warm to the touch, like a heating pad, but not ridiculous.

10. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

Mine does not. I have been amazed at how cool it runs. It might be because i keep the heat at 65 in the house to save energy. Like i said my 12" powerbook G4 got much warmer and toastier especially when i use it in bed.

11. rd261 macrumors regular

It all depends on how you are using it. I'll bet anything that if you are playing games or watching youtube videos it wont be as cool.:apple:

12. Huked on Fonick macrumors 6502

I watch a ton movies/youtube/hulu in bed, plus i regularly play civ 4, starcraft and spore in bed. Mail, Firefox, Papaya, Adium and Azarus are always running. Cool as a witches tit. The fan sometimes runs. It gets a little warm with civ 4, but still cooler than my 12" powerbook just surfing the internet.

13. DougNZ macrumors newbie

Haven't had problems with heat, have noticed it start to warm up while streaming video but cools down almost strait away