Heat + Battery 13'' 2.4 vs. 2.67

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mac(maybe), Apr 24, 2010.

1. mac(maybe) macrumors member

Dear experts,

I would like to buy a 2010 mbp 13'', with heat, portability and battery life issues as most important factors.

Given the fact that, in this respect, I consider a good choice to have a core2duo instead of an i3 or i5 given the reduced power consumption,
    I would like to ask:

2.4 vs. 2.67: would I see less heat developing on the chassis? What about the battery life?

Another question: is the capacity of the disk (320 or 500 GB) somewhat influencing heat and battery life?

I really thank you in advance for any advice!!!

Dan

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

2.4GHz should run little cooler and give longer battery life as it consumes less power

HD doesn't affect the battery life more than 1%, so...

Get the low-end, high-end ain't worth it

3. mac(maybe) thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your answer.
    Do you mean low-end disk as well (320 GB)?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes. You can upgrade it yourself later on and get up to 1TB

5. EasyJW macrumors member

The higher end will use a tiny bit more battery but you won't really notice it, saying that you won't notice the speed bump either [​IMG] so go with the lower end one

6. mac(maybe) thread starter macrumors member

:D Beware, I always stop-watch myself zipping a 10GB file. So I would definitely notice it!!! :D

Jokes apart, I am a computational scientist and a bit of bash scripting + graphical postprocessing of molecular simulations (mainly on a 24'' external screen, mainly opengl stuff) is all I will ask to my small laptop.
    The big things are being done either on a cluster or on a graphical workstation.

7. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I bought the low end - far too expensive for almost no upgrade for the higher end.

Thus far this thing is running beautifully and extremely cooly. I occasionally hear a slight whirr that suggests fans, but there doesn't ever seem to be much heat. Then again I think the most taxing thing I've made it do so far is video chat while editing photos.

The battery life is outstanding. I've had it 4 days and have charged it twice. It's probably been used for about 5/6 hours a night since I got it. I keep lifting it up and going to move the wire out my way then realising, no wire needed :D

8. mac(maybe) thread starter macrumors member

By the way, I now have a Fujitsu S7110 with a T2400 1.83 Ghz Core duo and 2.5 Gb ram. I have windows xp + cygwin, and I really push this laptop to its limits, with graphics, fortran programming, testing and scientific production.

This processor is 31 W and running Windows Xp and low display I (used to) reach 4 Hrs battery life.

I think that IN ANY CASE with the Core2Duo 25 W with 3MB L2 Cache, SpeedStep, Vanderpool etc. (and, main thing, mac os x :) ) I will see improvements everywhere... can't wait.