Heat dissipation and noise late 2012 iMac info

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Macintosh1984, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Macintosh1984 macrumors regular

Hi iMac late 2012 owners!

What about heat dissipation and noise on late 2012 iMac?

I want to buy iMac 21.5 i7, Fusion Drive, and know if with Pro Apps and play games after an hour produce a lot heat dissipation and noise.

I'm considering also iMac 27 i7, Fusion Drive, 675MX if with the larger dimension, heat dissipation and noise are better.

Thanks!

2. sjz88 macrumors member

My 27" high-end model is cool the touch, even when gaming but there it does make a sound which can be heard constantly. I wouldn't call it noise though. Just a sound it makes.

3. Macintosh1984 thread starter macrumors regular

Probably the fan that rotate a high speed respect normal use.

Have you installed iStatMenus http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/ to read temp and fan rotation speed?

So you have i7, Fusion Drive 680MX?

4. dryice589 macrumors member

I have not been able to do any extensive testing yet, but this is the quietest system I have ever had.

I gamed for about an hour and it was just slightly warm to the touch near the fan outlet and just to the left (looking at the back) of the fan outlet.

Checking iStat, I saw the fan at 1200rpm (not sure if that is slow, fast, or medium), but was practically silent. Overall I would say my 2011 mac mini is about as twice as loud as the iMac has gotton.

I cannot hear the HD at all even when I put my ear close to where the HD is.

5. Macintosh1984 thread starter macrumors regular

This sounds great!

I hope some 21.5 users says something...

6. sjz88 macrumors member

Temperatures are between 30°C (SSD) and 41°C (CPU) while browsing.
    Fan rotation is at 1200 rpm and a constant sound can be heard. It is rather quiet though. Still the machine isn't completely silent even without doing any intensive stuff like gaming. I assume it's the fan and not the HDD but I'm not sure.
    Is there any way to turn down the rpm of the fan manually?

7. Macintosh1984 thread starter macrumors regular

I think that you can control fan RPM with smcFanControl 2.4 http://www.eidac.de/?p=243 but I don't know if the new iMac are supported.

----------

What about 21.5 users?

8. boto macrumors 6502

boto

Compared to the previous generation top-of-the-line model with the AMD 6970m, I find it less audible and not as hot.

9. seble macrumors 6502a

Since I got my new 21.5 high end. I've been running Sibelius, Logic, some gaming & Garageband all without any fan speed ups, machine did get hotter for Logic though, but I think you'll find it should be okay ;)

10. vladfein macrumors regular

Any sound that you don't want to hear is called NOISE: www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise :)