Heat dissipation?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by macpluslaptop, Jul 2, 2010.

1. macpluslaptop macrumors 6502

Have searched for this info in vain. My iPhone 4 gets noticeably hotter than my 3G did and it's sizzling if I talk for half an hour. I've had more dropped calls this week than ever with my 3G. Have to decide if this is a deal breaker. I didn't get the phone to use as a griddle and these dropped calls seem related to the new phone (since I'm using it in the same places I used my 3G).

A related question: do screen protectors inhibit heat dissipation? My phone is wrapped front and back. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. :(

2. GlobalGentleman macrumors newbie

You're definitely right, it's the phone, and probably not the screen protectors...for the last two days I've noticed my i4 getting practically uncomfortable to hold hot, right around the 30min mark whether I'm talking or using facetime. And since this is my first iphone, i'm comparing the heat buildup indirectly to my previous blackberry....It gets especially hot on the aluminum band around the phone, back left side when you're looking at the back (understandably metal conducts heat, but would have thought apple will take precautions somehow--did nobody talk on a prototype for 30min???).

All i can say is, if mine keeps up or gets worse, I'll at least try to exchange for a different unit because friends haven't reported theirs getting hot to the same level. Good luck to us all!