Heat for long periods

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jimray, Mar 12, 2013.

1. jimray macrumors member

Okay, so I love my early 2011 13" MBP. Recently I started playing world of warcraft again, and I'm happy with the performance. I got a good under cooling pad and I play on an external monitor. From my research I know that at 105 the Mac will shut itself off to ptevent damage. I got istat pro, the fans seem to work correctly, everything looks good. My concern is the temperature it runs at. It runs at a pretty solid 85 degrees while playing. I know it's "normal" given the that I'm playing warcraft. However, it's not uncommon for me to play for 4 straight hours.

Is it a bad idea to have the CPU tenperature be at 85 degrees for around 4 straight hours?

I'm tempted to buy another computer because I worry I will wreak my MBP. Problem is if I buy another MBP or iMac, they will probably run just as hot. That leaves me with buying a PC, something I really don't want to do unless I have to.

Thanks

2. maxosx macrumors 68020

Macs automatically shut down to prevent problems. No worries.

3. jimray thread starter macrumors member

Well, as I said in my original post, I know it shuts down at 105 to prevent damage.

But I'm talking about running it close to its maximum heat for long periods of time. I don't know lots about electronics, but logically, it seems running it close to its maximum for long periods will shorted its lifespan?

4. leman macrumors 604

I have been playing games and running heavy-duty simulations overnight on my 2009 MBP, and it is still ok after years of abuse. Of course, heat has detrimental effects on the health of your electronic components, but I think that you will outgrow your machine (as in - wanting to get a new one) long before it dies.

5. jimray thread starter macrumors member

Okay, thanks, thats good to know. I really don't want to go back to a windows PC, or even buy a new mac, because I love my little MBP.

Just want to mention, I can't believe how good the HD 3000 is compared to the old style Intel integrated graphics. My early 2011 MBP 13" with 8GB Ram and HD 3000 runs World of Warcraft much better then my old Windows Core2Duo 32 bit 4GB ram and a low end $100 Nvidia video card.

The only games I play are Warcraft and Ultima Online, so I'm not a gamer that requires a super high end gaming rig.