Heat gone in unibody MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nph, Jan 7, 2009.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

I have original MBP and had decided on the MBA rev B but given the screen issues it has I am starting to lean toward the new MBP. My biggest issues with my original MBP are heat and wifi reception. MBA would have been nice sizewise but a Unibody MBP is almost the same cost and it does offer a lot more horse power.
    Can you confirm if:
    1) Is heat is gone if not doing games or video etc?
    2) Better wifi reception?
    3) Battery time do you really reach close to 5 hours when browsing?

Many thanks

Btw, before anyone suggest the new MB I tried it and returned it since I couldn't stand the screen. Screen quality is the most important aspect for me.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

1) Is heat is gone if not doing games or video etc?

My 15" unibody gets hotter than my old original MBP so actually i think the problems got a bit worse, the old one only used to get to about 90C but this one reaches 100C on certain days, i think this is due to the newer more powerful processors etc but despite being hotter it actually isnt as bad as the heat from the old one because rather than burning your lap the new one emits heat from the back at the base of the screen so you dont actually notice it.

2) Better wifi reception?

Its better, but thats only because its 802.11n and not the older 802.11g, however compared to other 802.11n windows laptops its not so good.

3) Battery time do you really reach close to 5 hours when browsing?

4 hours.

3. nph thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. bthom70 macrumors member

I'm looking at the new Unibody 15.4" Macbook Pro and wonder how bad the heat and fan noise is.

I'm upgrading from a 15.2" 1.67 g4 Powerbook and my Powerbook has alot of fan noise. Does the new MBP's have alot of fan noise? Heat is 1 thing, but fan noise drives me bonkers. The old G4 Powerbook doesn't handle flash sites as well, so I use flashblock in Firefox to limit flash and make my Powerbook usable.

5. windels macrumors regular

windels

fans , what fans? i can't barely hear them , even sitting in complete silence ...

6. amoda macrumors 6502a

I had a 1.83 MBP and a 2.2 MBP (the one before 3 finger swipes) and now a 2.4 unibody MBP. The unibody is BY FAR the best in heat management. It runs a lot cooler than the previous 2 mbps.

The CPU is usually around the 55c area and the enclosure around 33c. Even when gaming with the 9600 it maxes at around 80c. Previously they'd max around 90c and the CPU was 60-70c idle.

Wifi is about the same really. No noticeable difference.

Battery life is around 4hs when on the 9400, down to 3hs on the 9600. I used to get around 3hs so basically the same on the 9600 but a good improvement when using the 9400.