Heat improvement in the new MBP generation?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nph, Jun 7, 2010.

1. nph macrumors 6502a

Hi

Been looking at a new laptop and coming from the first gen MBP my biggest concern is heat.
    How is the new gen MBP 13 and 15(i5) with heat?
    A big improvement from previous generation and specifically how is the difference between MBP 13 and 15 (C2D vs i5)?

Thanks

2. Ramphex macrumors 6502

Ramphex

if you want to know if you'll still have the ability of making scrambled eggs on it, then yes that feature is still there.

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The MBPs still gets hot under load, but the day to day use is much cooler on my i5 than my Santa Rosa MBP (mid 2007 model).

While under heavy workload and gaming, it still gets pretty hot, but normal usage with surfing and word processing the CPU stays at 35-45°C and the body feels pretty cold.

4. Mirabella macrumors regular

I don't know about the 15" and the i5, but my 17" i7 runs way cooler than my 2006 2.16 Ghz MacBook Pro. Mine truly runs fairly cool. Today I was using it for Photoshop and Skype, and the CPU temperature was about 110 degrees Fahrenheit, while the bottom of the case was in the upper 80s. The palmrest area was cool to the touch.

That said: apparently, there is a lot of variability with regard to how hot the new generation of MBPs run.

5. bubbleboyjones macrumors member

Besides the heat itself has there been actual problems that the heat is causing on the New MBPs? Like shutting down...etc?

6. Mark.W macrumors member

My 13" does not get hot - or even warm - at all. It's always cool to the touch. Granted, it's always sitting on a table and I don't play games or run windows on it.

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Under heavier loads they will get pretty toasty, like mine does with games, but it's nothing too bad.

8. mrsavage1 macrumors regular

Macbook pro 2010 baseline 13 inch.

it gets hot once you run flash or videos, bottom can't touch your lap.

Installed smc and push up the fan speed solved the heat problem for me. I also found removing the cdrom allows more air inside and cools it about a degree or so.

Still a good computer though i wouldn't give this gen a skip if u are worried about heat issues.

9. picklesmand macrumors member

I have a 15" i5 2.4Ghz and I've been really impressed with how cool it runs compared to my old MacBook. The CPU generally stays around 42 C when doing web browsing. The only time the fans have come on was when i was encoding video, and the highest temp I saw was about 79 C.