Heat Issue?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Smacky, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Smacky macrumors 6502

Has anyone else noticed that the back of the iPad gets uncomfortably/noticeably hot after short time of use? Its kinda annoying, like holding the bottom of a MBP in one hand

2. ElZeus macrumors regular

3. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

What are you doing with your iPad when it gets "hot"?

Mine might get warm but never hot. I use a leather cover on the back that also has a flap to covers the screen and never had anything close to feeling hot on my iPad.

4. interfreak macrumors regular

interfreak

Not having any problems with my 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad.

5. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

Yes, I use my iPad in landscape (with the home button to the right) and yes, my right hand can feel much more heat than my left.

I'm running on a White 32GB WiFi.
    I did read a review post about this too.

Hopefully it'll wear off. But if not, I'm pretty sure it's not gonna burn me.

6. Smacky thread starter macrumors 6502

4g ipad, but just connected to wifi network
    Not doing anything too strenuous, just web browsing and watching videos
    Just wasnt expecting it since my ipad 1 remained cool to the touch after hours of use

7. harry454 macrumors 6502

My Wifi 32 gb model gets warm as well doing normal things along the bottom of the bezel where the home button side is the whole lower left side. Its odd. But given ifixits teardown it appears where the logic board is.

8. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

Mine is warm, but wouldn't say uncomfortable, using a 4G.

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Videos are somewhat strenuous and "some" warmth could be expected. But not "uncomfortably/noticeably hot"

10. GoGa macrumors regular

GoGa

Mine is warm, but i am guessing thats because its been in a cold van for a while and i am charging it. I'm sure it wont be like that all the time.

11. gekko21 macrumors member

Mine is warm too but I'm currently restoring all my apps from iCloud so it's to be expected.

12. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Considering it has a much higher battery capacity 42Wh compared to 25Wh but similar run times it is going to run warmer.

13. AnIPadDude macrumors newbie

Yes, iPad 3 has excessive heat problem. POST YOUR RESULTS!

Yes, my iPad 3 heats up excessively. The first one I received had a big speck of dust under the screen and they replaced it. But both my current and previous iPad 3's heated up excessively. Specifically, in the back side's bottom left corner then the heat radiates across the entire back of the iPad.

Folks - here is the test... Put your iPad on full brightness and interact with your iPad for at least 5-10 minutes. Interaction includes surfing to game playing. Please report your findings on this thread to help figure out if this is a mainstream excessive heat problem for all iPad 3's or if the heat is an indicator of a bad iPad that needs to be exchanged.

14. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

played with ours for over two hours (videos, reading, browsing, etc) today on 100% brightness trying to drain battery.

It got warm, as I would expect, but not hot... or too hot to hold.

15. Heartrender macrumors newbie

16. bkitchen0406 macrumors member

If u play an online FPS like Modern combat it gets hot and has a slight plastic heat smell. Then again I am maxing the hell out of the specs to do something like that. This is the reason I got Icare +. Apple has a history or running products hot like the mac mini, MacBook air, ect. It's just the way it is. I'm not worried, if u are get apple care. Still a great product, and runs cooler then competitors.

17. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

Apparently a rash of children were burned while playing Angry Birds over the weekend. Burned by inflated hype and hyperbole. It had nothing to do with the new iPad.