Heat Issues with 1TB Option?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Diode, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

I was just reading a long discussion on the Apple site regarding heat issues with the 1TB (Blinking amber and heat warning in AirDisk) Time Capsule. Some have it happen frequently, and some only with large back-ups. Another poster found it was a faulty temp sensor on his model

Anyone experiencing this? With the wait for a in stock 1TB in my area I'm worried that there might be a issue .... or is it something to not be worried about?

I wonder if it has something to do with using a 5 platter disk ....

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

I will go out on a lim and say you are talking about TC? You didn't mention that. At any rate I have the 1TB model and it runs quite cool while at neutral and I checked the heat during the first initial backup which took about 3 hrs and it was only moderately warm. The amber light has never blinked during the backup. It's not like it really matters you are going to sit it in your lap like a notebook, but no issues here, love it.

3. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

Lot's of Apple products get hot.
    What about the "hot-plate" Mac Mini?

Apple engineers like to design (in California) their products to walk a fine line. I mean, look at how well thought-out the insides of the MBA are? There's no room for error there. And the insides of an Apple TV must get pretty warm since it has a graphics processor. My MacBook get's pretty hot on a HandBrake rip too. Apple's cool designs only work if you the consumer make sure you keep it in a well ventilated, climate-controlled area.

4. abrooks macrumors 6502a

Should only have two 500GB platters.

5. Diode thread starter macrumors 68020

Diode

Ahh yes silly me. I edited my post to reflect I am indeed talking about the TC.

Yes I am aware of this but I was reading of users receiving heat warnings from the software. If the engineers who designed went into the trouble to code in overheating warnings then I think it would be a issue of some sort. My AppleTV gets hot but I don't get heat warning pop-ups while its playing.

While 1 user reported it ended up being a hardware problem that Apple was going to fix ... I am trying to figure out if the people reporting in the thread are just a few number of people with a bad product or if something widespread.

It seems to be only the 1TB model.

Hitachi deskstar uses 5 platters with 10 heads.

Samsung makes a 1TB drive with the least amount of platters but it still has 3. More platters/heads = more heat.

6. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

My 1TB unit has reported no faults (temp or otherwise).