Heat Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whatlifeforme, Nov 16, 2011.

1. whatlifeforme macrumors member

I have a macbook pro. I was wondering if there have been any heat issues with the recent models (i purchased this august 2011)? :apple:

It seems to get really hot around the top left corner on the bottom, of course. (this would be the area around where the magsafe plugs).

Also, where does the laptop vent, as I use it in bed and wonder about it not getting proper ventilation.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in your Mac, your temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload you're putting on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

yup mine only gets hot on my bed the vet is below the black hinge on the back so if you yes the soft surface like a bed is blocking it more than it would on a hard surface, i acutally use one of those cheap plastic angled stands and its even more cooler on that than a flat desk

4. whatlifeforme thread starter macrumors member

you say they are well within the normal range, but i never even gave you my temps?

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's because if your Mac isn't shutting down, your temps are within the normal operating range. Use iStat Pro (link in my other post) to get accurate readings.

6. zwodubber macrumors 6502a