heat issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by krypt, Mar 11, 2008.

1. krypt macrumors newbie

I just got my 15" 2.4 Penryn yesterday. Really nice machine in all respects except for one: heat.

With Fusion+Firefox+iTunes+Mail+iChat+Azureus+external monitor, the CPU gets up to 80C and the whole computer starts to get very sluggish. At this point, the metal above the keyboard is really really hot (to the point my reaction is to pull away).

Idle CPU temp w/ external monitor is ~55C (it's 60C with Firefox+iTunes open as I type this). GPU Diode tends to always be ~8 C higher than CPU temp. (Idle GPU Diode is ~64C.)

Is this normal or is my machine defective? I briefly owned a refurb 2.2 SR and it got hot but never had the performance issues this Penryn is having.

From what I read on this forum, Apple's spec on thermal paste is way off, so there's no guarantee sending it in to be fixed will actually fix anything. I'm tempted to attempt re-appling the thermal paste myself, but doing so also feels kind of dumb, given that this is a brand new machine.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :)

Cheers,

2. krypt thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: It's now up to 65C idle temp just letting it sit. I haven't done anything but leave Firefox and iTunes open. Seems like bad heat dispersion to me.

3. virtuatony macrumors regular

Hmmm there isn't anything like flash in firefox taking up CPU to make it hotter? I think this penryn mbp i have runs a little bit cooler than the merom one I had previously, usually with just safari and itunes its at 43 C or lower.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't see my computer getting past 80, only once or twice if I'm compiling something and it's sitting on my bed. Even then, the fans spin up and cool it down.