Heat/loudness question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by weezycarterf, Apr 16, 2010.

1. weezycarterf macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I was thinking of getting the following Macbook Pro:

# 2.66GHz Intel Core i7
    # 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    # 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    # MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display

I mainly have three questions:

1) Will this get significantly warmer than the standard configuration?
    2) Will this laptop be noticeably louder than the standard configuration?
    3) If I choose the higher resolution, do I have the option of lowering the resolution (if I find it too small)?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate the help.

2. eyefunk macrumors newbie

I was wondering the same question.

If the i7 and/or 7200 rpm drive generates more heat than the i5 / 5400 rpm configuration.

When it comes to the screen I think all LCD dispalys only realy works in one resolution. You can change it in the monitor settings, but it will look really unsharp and bad. I think it's sad that the lowresolution antiglare is not an option.

3. huythanhv2 macrumors regular

Some said yes, some said no, but in fact so far no one got on their hand the Macbook with that spec yet.

I ordered the Macbook with that spec as well and waiting for that =) oh and I think that spec is the most popular BTO Macbook so far =)

4. GregGebhardt macrumors 6502

I found the i7 to have much less heat than my C2D unit. I got the 2.6 i7 with 500gb drive and glossy but regular resolution.

You can not change the resolution as it Native resolution is going to look the best. I have used higher resolution laptops and the print and details can be too small so I nixed the high res screen.

As far as noise, none that I can hear in a normal room. Putting boot camp, WIN7 Ultimate and all my software did not even get the fans to come on and not surprised as the unit remained only sightly warm.

5. weezycarterf thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.

It seems that the stores will not be showcasing the hi-res models anytime soon... I guess I'm going to have to rely on pictures from the net when they start showing up?

6. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

My local Apple store has a hi-res antiglare on display. It's gorgeous.

7. Scott6666 macrumors 65816

Scott6666

What are your temps? Idle and some load?

8. eyefunk macrumors newbie

i7 vs i5 and 7200 rpm vs 5400 rpm
    What about battery drain?
    Will the 8-9 hour battery time hold up with the i7 and 7200 rpm configuration?
    (of course it will depent on the work load as allways)

9. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Also a question: do the fans go on while playing 720p or 1080p videos in QuickTime or VLC using the i5 or i7 15" MBP? As in: is it going to be irritating watching movies because of all the noise all the time (like w/ my 3yo MacBook :))

10. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

Is anyone else getting a weird noise from inside the macbook pro? my i7 17" MBP makes a weird hiss sound that sounds like someone is blowing into an empty bottle (if you know what sound I mean by that).. does anyone know what this might be? I am thinking it might be the hard drive, as the sound goes away when the hard drive spins down while going into sleep mode.

11. weezycarterf thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay this might be a bit off-topic, but I wanted to know before I buy:

Does the Mac OS X have all the languages pre-installed? Is it just a matter of changing the settings?

I know in Windows each language is basically a separate product that you must buy, but in the Mac OS X are each country's OSs identical?

12. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

they're all preinstalled when the computer comes to you - the first thing i do is wipe the HD again to get rid of them and all the printer drivers - you save about 10gb in drive space...

13. Amnak macrumors 6502

if your talking about on boot up... its the disk drive