Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr.Paul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2017
Our new 13" MBP arrived last night. I didn't have much time to spend with it other than setup, but what struck me is how warm the bottom seemed without any stress being placed on it. It wasn't uncomfortably hot, just warm in the area near the hinges (maybe 2 or 3 inches wide)--considerably warmer than my wife's new 2020 MacBook Air 16/i5/512 gets. Maybe setting it up is more stressful on the machine than I assumed, or maybe it's the fact that the CPU is running at a much higher wattage than the CPU in my wife's Air.

But I'm wondering, is it normal for a 13" MacBook Pro to feel warm on the bottom just from a little surfing on YouTube (in the area toward the hinge for display--the rest feels cool)? Thanks!

JamestheCharming

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2019
Just warm? Should be hot..

BTW, do you have a 2018 or 2019 in hand to compare with? I am keen on its thermal, too. Since it's 10mm with the same core numbers, I somehow expect it is colder than 2018 and 2019 ones with 2.3G 2.4G base frequency)

Reactions: Dr.Paul

Dr.Paul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2017
It’s perfectly normal.
Thanks! It's good to know the warmth is okay. I like how the MBP feels more substantial than the 2020 Air. I know it's the same keyboard, but I like typing on it better, and I don't want to send it back.
[automerge]1588957721[/automerge]
Just warm? Should be hot..

BTW, do you have a 2018 or 2019 in hand to compare with? I am keen on its thermal, too.
Just noticeably warm. I wouldn't call it hot. I'm comparing it to a 2020 MacBook Air. The new MBP 13" feels nicely substantial to type on. I didn't realize how such a small extra bit of weight can result in a machine that feels more substantial to work on.

Also, the area that's warm isn't very large. Nowhere near the entire bottom or even half of it. Just a few inches extending from the area of the hinges, and not all that wide.

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Thanks! It's good to know the warmth is okay. I like how the MBP feels more substantial than the 2020 Air. I know it's the same keyboard, but I like typing on it better, and I don't want to send it back.
[automerge]1588957721[/automerge]

Just noticeably warm. I wouldn't call it hot. I'm comparing it to a 2020 MacBook Air. The new MBP 13" feels nicely substantial to type on. I didn't realize how such a small extra bit of weight can result in a machine that feels more substantial to work on.

Also, the area that's warm isn't very large. Nowhere near the entire bottom or even half of it. Just a few inches extending from the area of the hinges, and not all that wide.
The MacBook Pro runs at higher wattages and generates more heat. It uses a more efficient thermal dissipation system, and sometimes the case runs a bit hotter. Apple specifically does not use a heat pipe in the Air, and so the bottom of the case is often cooler even if the chip inside is at 100C.

Reactions: Dr.Paul

Dr.Paul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2017
I bought one of these.... very comfortable and avoids the underneath speaker/cooling vents being blocked by clothing when the machine is on your lap.

It also stops my Gentleman's Vegetables from being roasted ;)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Portable-Notebook-Cushdesk-Comfort/dp/B0026RL6P8
Thanks! Belkin doesn't seem to make that any more, or not for here in the States, so I ordered this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005DXQ92W/?tag=goofyfootpres-20 Sadly, heat and testicles is more in my line of work--unless your laptop is causing actual burns, the biggest problem aside from discomfort would be a temporary decrease in sperm count due to the extra heat. This should be no problem unless you and a partner are trying to conceive, in which case I'd definitely use the laptop desk/pad, as well as avoiding hottubs, marijuana and briefs, and I'd suggest taking fish oil supplements as per the latest study from Denmark.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.