heat on MBP 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 01ds650, Mar 4, 2012.

1. 01ds650 macrumors member

Just today I've noticed my MBP on my lap getting hot. It has never done that before unless watching Netflix. I'm not watching Netflix today though, I'm just casually surfing the web.

It had a new update the other day. Could that have done this? What is the reason it would now start getting hot? (mostly on bottom near the hinge).

Thanks

2. gjb11 macrumors regular

Mine is always really hot when on my lap. It has always been this way.

3. simsaladimbamba

It is probably because Netflix has a higher CPU usage, which draws more power, thus more heat is generated.

Open Activity Monitor and select All Processes and then sort by CPU to show you the process(es) warming up your Mac.

4. 01ds650 thread starter macrumors member

The fact Netflix makes the laptop hot is a common problem with the MBP I understand. The trouble is that its getting hot all the time for no reason. I also noticed it wont go to sleep sometimes.

5. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

do you know if your normal use scenarios turn on the dedicated graphics card?

6. simsaladimbamba

Then use iStat Pro or iStat Menus do monitor your temperatures and Activity Monitor to monitor your CPU usage. That way you should be able to solve your problem, or at least get an answer, why it does that.

7. 01ds650 thread starter macrumors member

8. simsaladimbamba

Have you tried gfxCardStatus?

9. 01ds650 thread starter macrumors member

never even heard of it. I spoke with Apple. They dont know why it's acting up so I guess I have to take it in to get checked.

10. simsaladimbamba

So even with Activity Monitor, gfxCardStatus and iStat Pro you couldn't find the source of your high temperature due to high CPU usage (if that is the case)?
    And what temperatures does iStat Pro report?

11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

The easy way to see if your MacBook Pro is using the integrated (cool) or dedicated (hot) graphics is:

Click  > About this Mac > More Info

If by Graphics is says Intel, that's integrated (cool). AMD is dedicated (hot).

If it's the latter, one of your applications has caused it to be fired up. Try quitting your apps one by one and then rechecking in About this Mac to see which one was the culprit.

Or, if you're on Intel all the time, fire up Activity Monitor, select All Processes from the drop down, and sort by the CPU heading to see which process is eating up all your CPU cycles and making your laptop hot. Then come back here :)

12. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

If you are on the dedicated all the time, use GFXcardstatus (linked above) to keep it on integrated. you may have to restart the programs using the dedicated card for it to work.

13. hooneyrob macrumors member

Don't forget the browser can still tax your MBP depending on what is running inside the actual browser. My early 2011 MBP 15 starts to heat up on occasions depending on what I'm up to browser wise..

The net result is they run very hot when flat out and sound very much like a hair dryer - probably the biggest downside to the laptop if I'm honest. I don't mind the heat as I live in the UK but the fans are so loud to the point where my wife gets fed up.

Rob.

14. gjb11 macrumors regular

My fan isn't loud like a hair dryer. It's surprisingly quiet with the fan running when it's under heavy load. Unless you are in silence, it's almost hard to hear.

15. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I really don't recommend gfxCardStatus unless you absolutely need it. OS X is more than capable of adequately controlling which graphics chip is in use. It's only if there's a specific piece of software that you need that automatically engages the dedicated graphics that you should consider overriding OS X.

16. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

No actually, its not.

there are a HEAP of apps, including twitter, VMware fusion, and FINDER PREVIEWS ffs, that cause the radeon to become active and chew through power.

for 99% of non-gaming use, the HD3000 is more than enough, and forcing the machine to use that gives me 150-200% battery life.

edit:
    OP: id check that flash hasn't crashed as well. my GFs MBA fan was going spastic yesterday due to a crashed flash process.

17. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

ahahaha. I respectfully disagree. OSX controls it basically all wrong. There is no reason that powerpoint, boom, skype, netnewswire, and etc. should turn on the dedicated card, yet OSX does. if you're looking for battery life or less heat, OSX does a rather subpar job of deciding which to use.

18. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I never said it wasn't useful for some people, but for the vast majority it's just not necessary. I really don't think it should be recommended to people as a catch-all for a hot laptop. First and foremost, it's important to find out what the cause is.